• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to crop an image on a layer WITHOUT altering other layers?

Contributor ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Photoshop Elements 14 I am trying to crop an image that sits alone on a layer without disturbing anything of the other layers (behind it). try as I might it seems that when I use the crop tool on the image I am cropping the entire collection of layers.

Is this possible within Elements to crop an image without affect anything else? or do I need to ensure that the image has the correct proportions BEFORE I place it into Elements?

Thanks in advance !

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

The crop tool is not appropriate for this task. Try the following and let us know if it works for you.

In Editor, go to the expert tab.

1. Open picture B, the one you wish to select something from to add to another picture.
  2. Use one of the selection tools, e.g. selection brush, lasso tool, to select the object. You will see an outline ("marching ants") once the selection is complete
  3. Go to Edit menu>copy to copy the selection to the clipboard
  4. Open picture A, then go to Edit>paste
  5. Use the move tool to posit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crop tool is not appropriate for this task. Try the following and let us know if it works for you.

In Editor, go to the expert tab.

1. Open picture B, the one you wish to select something from to add to another picture.
  2. Use one of the selection tools, e.g. selection brush, lasso tool, to select the object. You will see an outline ("marching ants") once the selection is complete
  3. Go to Edit menu>copy to copy the selection to the clipboard
  4. Open picture A, then go to Edit>paste
  5. Use the move tool to position object from picture B.
  6. In the layers palette you should see picture A as the background layer, and object B on a separate layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome. Glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you still can crop Picture B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this what you are trying to do?

I want to delete the background of the sunflower, leaving it on the green background.

On layer 0 I selected just the flower, inverted the selection, and <Delete>.

For a simple rectangular crop, use the Rectangular Marquee tool to draw out the crop region, invert, and <delete>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark. Halstead answer nails it, but thanks for your efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines