• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to extract Photo Notes

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the " Notes" field in Photoshop Elements Version 20.0 to enter information about my photos and would like to be able to extract in bulk the contents of this field. There are programs that extract the EXIF data nicely but not the Notes field, even if I use the "Save Metadata to File" option.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks, 

Gunther

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose that some metadata management softwares can extract that info. Now I am away from my main computer so I can't test which would work, probably those based on Exiftool.

You find the name of the metadata field in the editor, menu File >> File Info...

in the 'raw' section, you'll find <album:notes>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, thanks for telling me about the File Info menu item. This is helpful. Please let me know if you find an EXIF tool that also extracts the contents of the <album:Notes> field.

Thanks, Gunther

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, thanks for telling me about the File Info menu item. This is helpful. Please let me know if you find an EXIF tool that also extracts the contents of the <album:Notes> field.

Thanks, Gunther

By @gunthergb

I have just installed Bridge on this computer (which is free without any subscription with the free Creative Cloud Desktop):

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/benefits-creative-cloud-free-membership.html

The PSE notes are recognized in the metadata section of Bridge. I am not a regular user of Bridge, but if you ask in the Bridge forum, you may get a solution.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge/ct-p/ct-bridge?page=1&sort=latest_replies&tabid=all

If I remember well, when you convert a PSE catalog for Lightroom Classic, the notes are converted to captions (not sure...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your advice, MichelBParis! I have downloaded Bridge and will look into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello gunthergb.

I am very interested about capturing the NOTES: entries, please feel free to update me should this issue progress. For your stated interest of 'extracting Organizer "NOTES" I have only at best improved on my Copy Paste of entries to other Applications (IE WORD).  My effort is scanning and organizing Historic/Genealogical Ancestry phiotos and documents, such as late 1800 and early 1900 family photos.  Many of these images include family notations added in the past, like recordings in a family Bible. These writings need to be annoted and are best stored with the image scan, digitally. These can be copied and then pasted complete into the images COMMENT field located in the file's PROPERTIES / DATA.  An execelent way to transmit the image with data in one file. Though, With regard to using ORGANIZER, NOTES: is efficient though, not retrievable.  I have WINDOWS11, ELEMENTS2020 with Organizer.  I have tried to poulate the many PROPERTIES field of the WIN files and also thouse of ORGANIZER EXIF/IPTC fields and have not yet found a wormhole connection, other than copy/paste.  This topic must be of absolute bordom to an image editor though it so much has to do with photography. Hoping for an interested CODER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Hetz3 

To be clear, the organizer is apt to save notes and write them to a metadata field that no common tool like the explorer can read, but all exif tools available can retrieve (exiftool and many other tools based on it, Bridge).

Only users of such tools will be able to use fully this metadata information.

Users of Lightroom migrating from the organizer will convert their catalogs and find their notes in the common caption field. So, if you can use any of the exif tools or Bridge solutions, you can also bring the notes into the caption (description) field. In your case, choose one of those softwares so that users of those tools can describe the batch conversion process.

As I am doing the same family and genealogy work as you are, I prefer to see the back notes on photos as real photos, which deserve to be considered as photos than you can group with the originals, either as a new composite picture or as a version set or stack.

Edit:

How to find (and tag) files with a note in the Organizer?

Use the Find by details >> Notes criteria and choose 'contains'.

Enter 'e' .OR. 'a' and you'll get all files with notes. Add a common tag to find them easily afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines