• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make an image and canvas able to use the same grid?

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an artist and I want to be able to use a grid on an image and a grid on a larger canvas in order to match the scale of the image with the scale of the canvas.  I am using Photoshop Elements. My plan is to draw each square of the image onto each sqare of the canvas.  How can I best do that?  Right now the Grids are not in synch. I know the basics of how to resize and how to grid.  I don't get how to make the image fit on the canvas. Thanks

TOPICS
Creative , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is how I understand your question:

If you want your canvas and your image share the same grid (a common size of the individual squares), that simply means the size of the square will be the same unit used by both the canvas and the image to overlay. The 'squares' are the 'units', why not use the same unit, centimeter or inch as the common factor? So in the preferences set the rulers and grids to the same fixed unit, cm or in.

Of course, that means that you know both the size of the canvas and the image measured in cm or inches.

So, open both your canvas and your image in the photo bin.

The drag and drop move of the image from the photo bin to the canvas should not be used there because the image preview of the 'smart layer' would fill up the canvas.

Instead, either use a copy and paste of the image to the canvas, or the 'place' command, or even dragging a layer from the opened image to the canvas.

Then the squares will be the same dimension in both your image and the canvas, and the move tool can position the image where you want, with the available 'snap to grid' default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines