• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to move a selection within a canvas?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm fairly new to PE and am stumped trying to perform what ought to be a perfectly simple task.

1.  I open a photograph in PE2018

2.  I go to Image | Resize | Canvas size

and double the width of the canvas in pixels from 1600 to 3200

3.  Step 2 leaves the photo in the middle with empty vertical stripes on both sides.  I want to move it right over to the left (so I'm left with only one empty stripe, on the right).

4   (Because I can't find a simple way to select just the photo image,) I select it using the Selection tool.

5.  I move the mouse pointer into the image and it turns to a small rectangular block, as if inviting me to drag it.

6.  So I drag the mouse towards the left edge of the canvas and release the mouse.  The selection rectangle moves, but the photo image stays right where it started.

Obviously, I'm missing something but what?  Fwiw, the layer thingie is showing only a single layer with the photo in the middle, but it makes no difference if I add an empty layer and re-select the photo layer.

Message was edited by: Martyn Ayers to correct a few typos

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You have extended the canvas via Image>Resize>Canvas size, to the left and right (if I understand correctly)
  2. Use the lasso tool or one of the other selection tools to select the object which you wish to move to the left, and press CTRL+J to place the selected object on its own layer
  3. Activate the move tool, and use the arrow keys on the keyboard to nudge the object to the left
  4. Of course, the object is still visible in its original position as well. Is this ok for your purpose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

3.  Step 2 leaves the photo in the middle with empty vertical stripes on both sides.  I want to move it right over to the left (so I'm left with only one empty stripe, on the right).

Did you look at the toolbox for resizing the canvas?  You have to choose the position of your image in the new canvas. You can choose 8 positions (4 corners, up, down, right, left) with the arrows. If you don't, the image is centered in the  new canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines