• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to place images at optimum print resolution?

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, All.

Apologies for this basic question, but I can't seem to find a clear answer.

I am trying to create a simple 30x42 photo board for an upcoming event. I have about 15 photos, each at different sizes but all saved at 300 ppi resolution for printing. In Photoshop, how do I "place" images so that they appear at the same resolution as the orginal image is saved at? For whatever reason, they are all being placed much larger than the originals. For clarity, the 30x42 master file is also set at 300 ppi.

I recall that in Photoshop I used to be able to hold down certain keys in order to force the image to be placed at same size and resolution as original image file. But it's been a long time since I used Photoshop and I can't recall the proper keys.

I'd appreciate any help the community has to offer.

Thanks, Kurt

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

What is "board?"

Something is wrong when your 4"high image reaches to about 30".

Try to copy the 4x6" image (Edit>copy or CTRL+C)), then paste to the board(Edit>paste or CTRL+V)"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You reference Photoshop in your post. Since you posted in the forum for Photoshop Elements, I assume that you are using PSE.

2. Resolution 300px/in is well within the recommended range for printing.

3. "Simple 30x42" ---  is this in inches or centimeters?

4. Suggest the following work flow to you:

Go to File>new>blank file. Enter the dimensiona appropriate for your project. Also enter resolution 300px/in, and background color to suit. This will be your canvas. In the layers palette it will be the Background Layer.

Go to File menu>Place and point to picture file #1, and place. This will come in on a separate layer.

Repeat for the other photofiles, each of which will come in on separate layers. You can position these as desired, and resize with the corner handles of the bounding box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is for Photoshop elements and the board size is in inches (30"x42").

So is there no way for the image files to be placed at original image size? For example, I have a photo at 4"x6" at 300 ppi. I am trying to place it on the board that is 30"x42" at 300 ppi. When I peform the "place" action, the image imports at almost entire height of board.

I would like to avoid having to take the time to resize every single image. Is there not a way to place the image at orginal size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is "board?"

Something is wrong when your 4"high image reaches to about 30".

Try to copy the 4x6" image (Edit>copy or CTRL+C)), then paste to the board(Edit>paste or CTRL+V)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

photoshop can have multiple canvases open at the same time- they call them boards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Edit>Preferences>General and check the Disable Smart Objects box.  Your photos should then come into the board at their original size.  Otherwise, they are converted into smart objects and will fill the board canvas.

Snap_2021.10.05_13h26m2s_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set the "Disable Smart Objects" but when I use the Place action the images are still importing larger than the originals. Not sure why.

I put the Place action aside and instead trying a simple Copy+Paste per Hatstead's advice above. That seems to work fine. The images copy in at the same sizes as the originals. Great--problem solved!

My 30"x42" photo boards each contain about 15-20 images. This results in a file size of close to 200MB even when I print to a PDF. I was able to reduce to 77MB, but still a very large file. I suppose that's the nature of working with high resolution images.

Thanks everyone for your help! - Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Glad to help.

If you need to reduce the file size for an e-mail attachment or posting on the web, go to File>save for web and you can reduce this value. In the dialog be sure to check "Constrain Proportions". Also make the destination folder different from the source folder, so as not to overwrite the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines