• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Recover Photoshop Elements 13 Albums

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a clean install of Windows 10 on a new drive and afterwards downloaded Photoshop Elements 13. Thanks to the forum, I have gotten it to work. I copied my existing , saved photos onto the new drive and was able to transfer my ratings and tags. However, I cannot find the albums I created. Before installing Windows 10, I did create a catalog stored on an independent drive. My questions are:

*  Can I restore my albums without first deleting all of the photos now resident on my new drive?

*  If I restore my catalog, do I need to first delete the photos I transferred in?

*  Will restoring my catalog provide the albums?

Thanks,

Bernie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

So, you are going to do a new 'restore' from your backup drive?

The 'backup folder' should contain a file named 'backup.tly'.

When you start the File >> Restore command, you are asked where you want to restore your files.

It's not on the original location, so you'll have to indicate to which drive and master folder you want to restore.

I would not state the location where you already have copied your files.

Instead, I would create a new master folder like 'MyPhotos' and choose it for the destination.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bernardh49972356  wrote

I did a clean install of Windows 10 on a new drive and afterwards downloaded Photoshop Elements 13. Thanks to the forum, I have gotten it to work. I copied my existing , saved photos onto the new drive and was able to transfer my ratings and tags. However, I cannot find the albums I created. Before installing Windows 10, I did create a catalog stored on an independent drive. My questions are:

*  Can I restore my albums without first deleting all of the photos now resident on my new drive?

*  If I restore my catalog, do I need to first delete the photos I transferred in?

*  Will restoring my catalog provide the albums?

Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie,

What is not clear in your post is if you have used the Backup and Restore  process to move your photo files as well as your catalog (which contains the album lists) or if you have simply copied your photo file tree on the new drive?

Move Elements Organizer catalog

It seems it's the latter.

- Albums are simple lists of links to the real files on your computer. They are stored only in the catalogs.

- if you simply copy your media files tree on another computer, then 'Import' your files, you can only recover tags and ratings from the file themselves (if you have 'written metadata to files'. You can't recover albums, stacks, version sets or creations.

- if you follow the above process, you'll recover everything. You'll need to create a full backup from your original drive: is it still possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichelB -- Do I need to first delete the photos that are on my new drive?  My original backup device contains those files and also the catalog. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you are going to do a new 'restore' from your backup drive?

The 'backup folder' should contain a file named 'backup.tly'.

When you start the File >> Restore command, you are asked where you want to restore your files.

It's not on the original location, so you'll have to indicate to which drive and master folder you want to restore.

I would not state the location where you already have copied your files.

Instead, I would create a new master folder like 'MyPhotos' and choose it for the destination. That way, you restore both your catalog folder and your folder hierarchy without risking overwriting any file. If the restore is successful, you can safely delete the photos previously copied by using the Explorer/Finder.

If you restore on the master folder where you already have copies, you'll get the usual prompts to tell if you want to skip or overwrite existing files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bit the bullet and deleted the pictures I transferred via the copy command and started anew via Elements' "restore" function. I now have all of my ratings, keywords, and albums. I have not yet deleted my "old" backup and create a new one, but I will.

Thanks for your answers.

Bernie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Along the same lines. I have transferred all my programs and files via zinstall to new C Drive on new computer.

I wish to upgrade to 2020. I have a backup + modfied with additional files to external drive. I would love for the new files and folders reside on my D drive (4TB), and use the D drive dedicated to photos and videos.

Kind of need a step by step how to accomplish or correct my thinking and accomplish the upgrade without losing any files or tags.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines