• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to replace a corrupted file with a backup?

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have catalog of 20k pictures and glancing through I have broken thumbnails for a small percentage (1-2%).  I tried the "rotate 4x" and "update thumbnail" tricks to no avail and when opening the file with PSE Editor, I'm informed they are corrupt. 

RLymburner_0-1615441275303.png

Fortunately I have backups which look valid (I can preview & open using Windows Explorer).  Would I simply replace the corrupt file with the good one by copying the good file on top of the corrupt one?  One of the files from the 4 circled has long file name that ends with "UTC)", what is that? 

Windows 10

Elements Organizer 19.0.0.0
Core Version: 19.0 (20210126.m.155261) 

Screenshot 2021-03-11 000522.jpg

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Ok, found the answer ... copying the valid file from the backup source over the corrupt file fixed solve the issue quicker than importing.  I did have to regenerate the thumbnail (CTRL-Left) by rotating the image but I'm happy with this workaround. 

Thank you for your assistance Somya!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can try importing the backup file in your catalog. If a message comes up, that the file already exists in the catalog, you can delete the corrupted file from your catalog. Please delete it only from the catalog and not from the hard disk.

After the corrupted file has been deleted from the catalog, try to import the backup file.

Let me know if this solves the issue.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well not optimal, but after deleting the picture from the catalog, I was able to import the good picture into the catalog.  Unfortunately (expectedly?) it kept the imported file in the backup location so I had to find it and move it to the location where the corrupt file was. 

Thanks for the suggestion, I hope there is an easier way, I may have 100 of these.  Nice to have backups available, but this is going to be painful amount of time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, found the answer ... copying the valid file from the backup source over the corrupt file fixed solve the issue quicker than importing.  I did have to regenerate the thumbnail (CTRL-Left) by rotating the image but I'm happy with this workaround. 

Thank you for your assistance Somya!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Furthermore ... if you copy & paste the entire directory of pictures from your backup source directly into the directory of the catalog item (corrupt file).  It won't change tag/star ratings, etc and then you can just do the rotate picture trick to regenerate thumbnails quickly and viola!  You're done!   Yeah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines