• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I bought a 2nd hand Canon 7D mark 2 and elements 12 doesnt recognise the CR2 files

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, elements 12 & camera raw wont open the files! Ive decided to install DNG but it will only work apparently if my camera raw is a minimum of 8.7 but mine is camera raw 8.5! Can anyone advise me exactly what and how to update my elements and camera raw versions to resolve the problem? I would prefer to continue using elements 12 and camera raw ro open the CR2 files from the 7D mark 2! I did , try to install a zipped file from a later plug in, i think it was 10 or 10.5 which i unzipped , but its not worked! Do i have to install the new verion of elements to go with it?

TOPICS
Download and install , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can't update your ACR plugin to more recent than 8.5 and your Canon requires 8.7.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/faq-will-photoshop-elements-work-with-my-camera-or...

The newer plugins are not compatible with PSE12.

So, if you don't want to upgrade to a more recent PSE version, you have to use the free Adobe DNGconverter to batch convert a whole folder of your raw files to the DNG raw file that your PSE12 can read and edit. An additional batch step, but free and with the same quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your swift reply Michael! Ive downloaded the free DNG converter set up file but when i try to install it i get a message to say my version of windows doesnt support the program! I assume it needs windows 10 which i didnt like when i tried it and i reverted to windows 8.1 which ive used since!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version of Adobe's DNG Converter (13.2) is Windows 10 only.

To get an earlier version (such as 8.7), which I think will run on Windows 8, you'll need to head over to ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/dng/win. I don't know if your browser supports FTP connections, so you might need to download an FTP utility such as FileZilla.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phil, thanks but i get a 404 Not Found when i click that link!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yikes! Sorry about that, my bad... forgot to change the http:// part of the link to ftp:// 😞

I've edited the link now so please try again. It won't work in Microsoft Edge as that browser doesn't support FTP connections, in which case you'll have to go down the FTP client route, such as FileZilla.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ive lingered too long and the link just shows a bank page now....sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which web browser are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Chrome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like Chrome removed FTP support in Jan 2021 (hence the blank screen)... sorry 🙂

You'll need to download an FTP utility such as FileZilla to access the FTP server.

Using FileZilla, you'll need to copy and paste the whole of the link (ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/dng/win) into the Host field (top left) and click the Quickconnect button. Then in the Remote Site column on the right, scroll down under Filename until you see the DNGConverter_8_7.exe filename, right-click on it and choose Download.

Screenshot 2021-05-04 171820.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing i get this message! You appear to be behind an NAT router. Please configure the passive mode settings and forward a range of ports in your server! WARNING: FTP over TLS is not enabled, users cannot securely login!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you definitely installed the FileZilla client? That error message might appear if you have installed the FileZilla server by mistake.

Screenshot 2021-05-05 190126.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so ive now installed the client but after pressing quck connect its telling me the FTP is insecure and isnt supported over TLS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to ignore that warning.

Do your status messages look something like this?

Screenshot 2021-05-05 210415.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get a pop up Insecure FTP connection with the message 'if you continue your password and files will be sent in clear over the internet. I can tick a box to 'always allow insecure plain FTP for this server!'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's fine. You're not using a username or password to access the FTP server and nothing you're downloading from the server is confidential or sensitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines