• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I want my photos to open in JPEG, not Camera Raw. I am using Photoshop Elements 2022.

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Photoshop Elements 2022 in the Editor workspace, my phtos keep opening in Camera Raw. How can I change that to JPEG? 

Thank you for your help.

Cathy

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Photoshop Elements forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On Photoshop Elements 2022 in the Editor workspace, my phtos keep opening in Camera Raw. How can I change that to JPEG? 

Thank you for your help.

Cathy

By @oggcathy

Hi @oggcathy 

Please specify if the files you are opening are already files in the jpeg format (.jpg or .jpeg extention) or in a raw format like .CR2, NEF, DNG?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements-discussions/faq-will-photoshop-elements-work-with-...

So your problem might be that you have to convert the raw file into jpeg: read the above link and the other links it points to.

If the files are already in the jpeg format and they open only in the ACR raw editor, that means that the Adobe software used to open it in a previous step has been used to open in ACR (camera raw) and to be edited 'parametrically' (non destructively).

- They have been edited in Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge or even in Elements by the command 'Open in ACR'

- That previous edition stage does not apply any change to the pixels, it only adds the editing 'recipe' (the sliders values) as text in the metadata header of the jpeg file, which does not require renaming the jpeg file. You can edit the file in ACR again and go back to the original state or edit in another way, you don't lose anything, you don't need to save an 'edited' version of the original. That's the point of the non-destructive, parametric editing in Lightroom or ACR, and obviously, users who have chosen to open jpegs like this do want those jpegs to open in ACR.

So, if you are working with such parametrically edited jpegs (by other sources or by yourself) and want to open directly in jpeg, either you want to open in the original version or you want to open with the already applied 'recipe'.

If you open with any non Adobe software, the 'recipe' will be ignored. You can save an unedited version from that other software.

If you want to choose between the orignal or the recorded 'recipe' or if you want to re-edit, you are expected to open in ACR. No way to tell the 'Open' command to choose between original or edited. Then you can go back to the original state in ACR and save that version or a new one as a new version (new filename with 'edited').

Adobe and other editor softwares don't want to be responsible for the loss of your files or edits, so they consider that you have to indicate clearly your choice if you are risking losing a file, its edits or overwriting in a new format losing some properties. So, what you want is to have an additional command or a preference stating how to open the already edited jpegs in camera raw.

The same is true for users like me who would prefer automatically opening jpegs in ACR. There is no preference or alternative 'open' command for that. The workaround is for me to open a batch of those jpegs; to select all the batch; to apply a common command like 'Auto' or a tad more sharpness; and click 'Done' which will save all the batch parametrically. Next time, those jpegs will open automatically in ACR with PSE, Photoshop, Bridge or Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines