• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image Tags vs People tags in PSE 2024

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running PSE 2024 and I wanted to adjust my catalogue in the Organizer so I can find groups of people via their Facial tags.  I went through the Facial recognition in the People View and identified all the faces it had detected.  I then went through all of my pictures individually and marked/identified faces that weren't picked up by Facial recognition. (People looking down or profiles)

Now when I click on an image,  I can see the name of the identified person in the Image Tags section on the right but if I click on that person's name in the People Tags section it says there are no images available. 

Sometimes if I select a person's name in the People Tags section a few images of that particular person will show up but definitely not all of the images that exist for that person in that album.  I'm not quite sure of the difference between the ones that show up and the ones that don't.

Is there some disconnect between Image Tags and People Tags that I'm unaware of? 

How do I get PSE to show me all of the images containing a specific person when I click on their People Tag name ?

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

It sounds like, you have both Keyword Tags and People Tags for the same persons and/or you have some persons tagged with only one or the other.  This can be very confusing when searching, particularly if you want to use the Tags hierarchy check boxes.  While 99Jon's approach may work with the correct sytax, IMO it is very cumbersome because of the need to conduct the search in a different dialog and then go back to the regular grid to work on the found images.  Here are my suggestions:

• Since yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to combine people tags and image tags (or any other categories) when using the search field.

See example below. If I type Jane the dropdown list is populated with suggestions for two types of data and I can select them separately from the list by typing Jane and Jane agian.

Jane001.jpg

Jane002.jpg

Search uses Boolean operators e.g. and, or , none (exclude)

In my example the default is Jane + Jane but if I click on the (+) icon in the search box I can switch the Boolean operator to or (/) which will produce more search results using either tag.

Jane-003.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for that info.  That's really interesting.  I was assuming that all I had to do was check mark a tag on the right panel to bring up all the people in that particular album.  I just hadn't thought about the Search function (forehead slap).  Using the Search function presents a new level of complexity to the results. 

If I go to the Search Panel with no particular album selected and enter my name, I see the 2 Data types that you mentioned.  I can choose from...

1) The normal icon with 3 stylized people which is, I assume, the People tag.  That produces 651 hits.

2) An icon that looks like it's a house.... I have no idea what that is.  That produces 14 hits.

If I select both of those with the OR operator I still get 651 hits so apparently the house icon hits are dups of the ones in the people icon hits.  No big deal it's just nice to understand that.

If I clear that search and click on the People section on the left side of the search panel.  I see my picture there and below that it says I am in 784 images (same number as in the People View).  If I click on my picture to populate the Search bar, the result is 651 images ???? The math doesn't compute to me.

Carrying on my testing I tried

1) Entering my name and selecting the 651 hit people icon.  Then entering my son's name and changing the operator to AND.  I get 0 hits.

2) Clearing that search and selecting the People section on the left side of the search panel.  I click on my name in that section and it populates the search bar.  I then click on my son's name and it populates his name beside mine in the search bar with the OR operator set.  If I change the operator to AND I then get 198 hits.  I'm pretty sure there are more images of both of us in the catalog but I'd have to go through them all with a calculator to verify that.

One way or another the search seems a little wonky.  I can't seem to find anything in the User's Manual that talks about the Organizer or the Search Function, all the tasks seem to be geared to the Editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like, you have both Keyword Tags and People Tags for the same persons and/or you have some persons tagged with only one or the other.  This can be very confusing when searching, particularly if you want to use the Tags hierarchy check boxes.  While 99Jon's approach may work with the correct sytax, IMO it is very cumbersome because of the need to conduct the search in a different dialog and then go back to the regular grid to work on the found images.  Here are my suggestions:

• Since you have conducted face recognition, I recommend only using the People tags;

For those persons whom you have tagged with Keyword tags do the following:

• Check the box for the person's Keyword tag in the hierarchy.  This will filter the grid to all images with that tag.  (It doesn't matter if there is also a People tag for the same person.)
  • If a People tag for that person doesn't exist, create one.
  • Select all the images of the person in the grid (using Ctrl+A).
  • Drag the People tag to an image in the grid (or vice versa).  All of the images will now have that person's People tag.
  • Uncheck the Keyword tag for that person and check the People tag box.  Confirm that all of  the  person's images now have a correct People tag.
  • Right-click on the Keyword tag in the hierarchy and select Delete from the context menu.
  • Wash, rinse and repeat for each person with a Keyword tag.

Note that the images that did not have a People tag attached may not be face recognized and will have only a generic icon instead of a face display in the People room.  

While this sounds like a lot of work (if you have a large number of persons to tag), in the long run it will save you a lot of time and frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much Greg.  This is fantastic and exactly what I was looking for.  I'm using the same technique to clean up the tags for my place tags too.  A lot of those tags came from images that I had imported from friends.

I don't know where I got it into my head that Keyword tags were simply duplicate entries for the People tags and not separate tags.  Now that I finally have that straight in my head my catalog is much much cleaner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bobl80079401, I cross-posted with you.  You have now seen why I recommend using my method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines