Import HEIC files into Photoshop Elements / Organizer

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our new iPhone saves photos in HEIC format, but these files are not importing into Photoshop Elements or Organizer. I followed the help instructions by loading the Microsoft HEIF image extension and the HEVC video extension.  Now we can see the previews in Windows Explorer or Photos, but still cannot import them into Elements.  So I purchased the new (2022) version from Adobe, and still get the error that this format is not supported - even though it provides a link back to the instructions I already followed.  Can someone please help me to import HEIC files?

TOPICS
Import and export , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What model iPhone are you using? Please post a copy of any error messages you are receiving.

Have you tried connecting your phone to the computer and using Import>From Files and Folders?

Frankly, I don't see the value in importing .heic files to a computer.  There are very few usages for them, and if you want to edit or save them on a Windows computer, they will have to be converted to another format anyway.  I have not seen any convincing evidence that the quality of the .heic format is noticeable, even when compared to a .jpeg compressed photo. (Apparently, Adobe may disagree with me.) So, the only advantage the format has is disk space.  This may be important when saving to an iPhone, but for most users this is not a relevant factor on a modern computer's hard drive.

For these reasons, although I shoot photos and videos using the HE formats, I convert the images to jpgs when importing to the Organizer.  This has saved me a whole lot of time since I was having all kinds of problems, particularly importing HEVC videos.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have an iPhone XR.  Yes, the direct connection between the computer and phone gives the same error:

Ken5E10_0-1650760976763.png

We followed the "click here" link instructions and still the same error.  Ideas to get Adobe to import these?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not clear from your response whether you have tried to copy the files from your phone to your computer, e.g. using Windows File Explorer or the Windows Photo App.  You can then import into the Organizer from Files and Folders.

And do you get the message for all files or just a few?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Typically I copy the files from the phone to the computer Files and Folders using the Windows File Explorer.  Trying to import from there into Elements Organizer (and Photoshop Elements) gives this error - for all HEIC files (not just a few).   Now that I've installed the Microsoft HEIF image extension and the HEVC video extension, I can see the HEIC previews in Windows Explorer or open them in MS Photos, but still cannot import them into Elements.

Thanks so much for your great questions and trying to help!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines