• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import into Catalogue fails

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed version 14 onto a different PC. I have tried (1) to import images into an old catalogue that worked perfectly on prior PC and (2) to create a NEW one and import afresh. In both cases the initial phase seems to work, and when I commence import, it KEEPS failing after reaching 1666 images ???
Similarly, it resists my efforts to get it to 'watch' the main library folder. All Adobe file watching settings are running in Windows 10 Control Panel.
Adobe online chat cannot assist it seems.
Any bright thoughts?

TOPICS
Import and export , Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All three attempts at importing seem to show that a given media file is not recognized in the import. Especially in older versions of PSE, it was difficult to know what happend and which was the 'problem' or corrupted file. Very often a given type of video. It might also be a file format not recognized by PSE14. Could you install the trial version of the current PSE2020 to see if it can import all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I finally gave up and am now on the trial 2020 version until my main PC is repaired so I can install it properly.

It SEEMED to convert the old catalogue BUT it did NOT seem to pick up the keyword tags in all images - just one from each tag. This may have varied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience with catalogs, either a conversion fully succeeds or fully fails. Can you show or describe how you come to this conclusion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel. I cannot go through it all item by item so am not certain what has happened. But I WAS able to find an example of its failure to function correctly. Here are two snips from the '20 and '14 versions - the former 'converted' the catalogue of the latter.14_AtWork.png20_AtWork.png

The images are within a keyword that's a subset.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AHHHHH ! I imported the images from file - I did NOT import the catalogue as I didn't want to bugger up the old one in case I wanted to step backwards. I thought it would capture all metadata fully - but perhaps it doesn't.

Is that perhaps the problem????

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean you have not converted the catalog, but imported the files from the old catalog in the new catalog version?

There is no way in Elements to 'import' the files from a catalog to another catalog unless you have a way to know which files of your drive are included in the old catalog; for instance the files in the old catalog are all in a given folder and there are no external files to the catalog in this folder. In Lightroom importing in a catalog from another is possible.

If you don't want to take risks when converting catalogs, keep in mind that the original catalog is never overwritten or deleted, it is just renamed with a -1 suffix and stays available and recognized by your old software. You can also locate the old catalog (menu Help >> System Info) and copy the whole folder somewhere and try to convert the copy.

Importing files should recover the keywords if you have written them to files (Ctrl W) but importing does not recover stacks, version sets or albums.

If you want to show the result of a keyword search, I would use the 'detailed view - Ctrl D) instead of the 'adaptative view' which only displays the image without filename and date. The stacks/version sets icon is important to check the similarity of the converted version with the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. Well, I uninstalled '20 and reinstalled and did NOT 'import' images this time but simply let it open my old catalogue. All seems pretty much as it should be.

And thanks for the information about how the old catalogue is not mistreated.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines