• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

instagram 4:5 ratio help

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to I use elements to size  a complete image for instagram ?  I want to make the entire image to be shown without any cropping by instagram.  I underatnd there will be bars. I am okay with that. When I post a 180x1350 image now it gets cripped off. Thank you.

TOPICS
Creative , Import and export , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

You may be measuring your image in inches for printing or display purposes, but its size in pixels is 3342x4767.

I have created a new file with square measurements of 1080x1080 and placed your image in the new file with the following result.

Snap_2022.11.10_16h27m9s_001.png

Since Instagram was originally built on a square image platform, I am assuming that there will be no cropping of the original image if you use this size.  If you are seeing some cropping when you post the image, please give us a screenshot.  If this is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the file you wish to post to Instagram. Then:

1. Go to File>New>Blank File and create a new file with your desired dimensions. I assume you intended 1080x1350.
  2. Make sure the new file is selected in the Photo Bin
  3. Drag the thumbnail of your Instagram photo from the Photo Bin to the new file.
  4. Save the new file.

Snap_2022.11.09_21h30m46s_000.png

Your original file can be either portrait or landscape orientation and will end up with the bars looking something like this:

Instagram-Black.gif

(I had to change the above demo gif to a black background so that the bars are visible on this forum.)  The photos used for the demo are 3:2 but any ratio should work in a similar fashion.

Added:  I've just looked at an article that says the best dimension for landscape photos on Instagram is 1080x608.  So make the appropriate changes to the new file dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will attach an image I wish to use. Notice the image is in inches.  I have done what you suggest and the image is too big for the space. Any ideas ? Must i did something else with the origianl iamge ? Thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be measuring your image in inches for printing or display purposes, but its size in pixels is 3342x4767.

I have created a new file with square measurements of 1080x1080 and placed your image in the new file with the following result.

Snap_2022.11.10_16h27m9s_001.png

Since Instagram was originally built on a square image platform, I am assuming that there will be no cropping of the original image if you use this size.  If you are seeing some cropping when you post the image, please give us a screenshot.  If this is not what you are trying to do, please give us more of an explanation of the problem.

And how are you transferring the image from your computer  to Instagram?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much. Your suggestions lead to the image being fully presented. With the  white background everthing looks good. I am using an imac. I used to use a app tilted Flume to post. Using flume I had one step to full image presntation. Something somewhere changed and I could not see the full image fairly recently. I was posting through Safari using settings through develop. Then instagram would default to another page presenation about two weeks ago and I was stuck. This worked. Thanks so much. I hope this way of posting holds. To answer your question I am now dragging and dropping the image into the window instagram grings up. I should add prior to that I saved the image created in elements by dragging the thumbnail onto the 1080x1080 from as a jepg. Now if there was only you tube of these steps to refer to for my old brain to remember. And the decision looms wether to fix all the other images that were altered. Much appreaciation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines