• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installed Elements 2023, converted Catalogue, some folders with no files showing in Organizer.

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a new computer running Windows 11 I installed Elements 2023, converted the Catalogue.  I have some folders with no files showing in Organizer though they are in the explorer folder. I've tried Import Media but all I get is a list "8 Media files were skipped because they are already present in the catalog."  Thanks for any help.

Screenshot 2022-10-29 000722.jpgScreenshot 2022-10-29 000627.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Good troubleshooting, @Barry_Kruyssen ,

You can see that the flower is located in a folder ending with 1901-57 in the Explorer while the catalog has recorded another folder ending with 1827-57.

So, the filter to skip duplicates finds that it can't import it a second time, exactly what the error message is stating.

Probably the result of inadvertently dragging and dropping files in another folder?  It would have been harder to find the real position if the reason had been a rename instead of a mo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 - Don't display your folders in 'list' mode, use the 'tree' mode, similar to the tree view of the Explorer.

2 - The folder icons all in yellow don't contain imported pictures, but they have subfolders which do.

3 - To display all the subfolders of a seemingly empty folder, use the right click option on the folder icon to show all subfolders.

4 - If the files visible in the Explorer can't be imported, the general explanation is that they have been already imported from another folder. Try to check by a search by name / date in the organizer to find where they can be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  

1. I am in tree mode view it is just we have a BIG tree, 92K photos and videos.
2. and 3. I'm aware of as that is how I found the problem.

4. Searching for the photo finds it in the folder where I'm looking and it is not being displayed. I've included the more screen shots showing the empty sub folder with import media and overlayed with the explorer window.  The scond screen shot is of the file search for the flowers showing the properties which has the file in the folder where it is not displaying.  Screenshot_20221029_082204.pngScreenshot_20221029_081809.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good troubleshooting, @Barry_Kruyssen ,

You can see that the flower is located in a folder ending with 1901-57 in the Explorer while the catalog has recorded another folder ending with 1827-57.

So, the filter to skip duplicates finds that it can't import it a second time, exactly what the error message is stating.

Probably the result of inadvertently dragging and dropping files in another folder?  It would have been harder to find the real position if the reason had been a rename instead of a move.

Anyway, the solution would be to remove the displaced files from the catalog (NOT from the disk) and to reimport the real folder. Note that if the blank folder had correctly shown pictures, they would not be imported as duplicate, only the missing files.

Am I reading your screenshots of the catalog and the explorer correctly this time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now I feel like a real goose for miss-reading those folder names.  I just saw the date and the last 2 characters.  Now I know the problem, we've saved the same photo to 2 different folders and tried to import them but organizer is smart enough to stop us from cataloging them.  A mannual quick check has found lots of photos duplicaqted on the disk.  I'll have to get a tool to check for duplicates that gives me a list I can save so we can work through it to clean up the duplicates.

Thanks for the help.  Issue closed now with solution for me to "read the screen carefully" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines