• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a rule-of-thumb best size for PSE catalogues?

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have nearly 55,000 photos and movies that I am about to reorganize and catalogue using PSE 2020 on a Windows 10 laptop. I know there is theoretically no limit to the size of a PSE catalogue but I still think it would be wise to split them into separate catalogues. What should be my guideline for how big the catalogues can become before it will become awkward or slow to use the program?

(The photos have come from earlier systems running Windows 7 and its predecessors, and many were previously catalogued on those laptops with PSE 9 and earlier versions. I have eliminated all or most of the duplicates. I also have saved the keyword tags on all that were catalogued and I have tested and find they are imported successfully into a test catalogue.)

TOPICS
Import and export , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it makes any sense to provide you with a rule of thumb.  You are going to have to decide what works for you.  I have a 200K catalog.  I also have a very fast computer.   It takes about 5 seconds to load the catalog from a warm launch.  Scrolling through the grid is smooth as silk.  So, I see no benefit to break up my catalog.  That would only hinder me.

If you are finding that performance is slow with a 55,000 file catalog, I can't imagine that you will see much improvement splitting your files into two or three collections.  It should be easy to test this out.  Simply create a new catalog with 25,000 files and see if it makes any difference to your experience. 

The photos have come from earlier systems running Windows 7 and its predecessors, and many were previously catalogued on those laptops with PSE 9 and earlier versions. I have eliminated all or most of the duplicates. I also have saved the keyword tags on all that were catalogued and I have tested and find they are imported successfully into a test catalogue.)

By @sylvia1152

The fact that your catalog was created with earlier versions should make no difference whatsoever to any performance issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion. I have not found that the catalogue is slow with 55,000'; rather I was seeking advice ahead of creating a giant mess that I would then have to redo. I guess I'll just trust my instincts and try out various sizes and hope I don't waste too much time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are happy with the way the catalog is performing in the Organizer, there is absolutely no reason to split it up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another reason not to split catalogs (except if they are totally unrelated to each other) is that it's extremely difficult to merge them in Elements if you change your mind (contrary to Lightroom).

My situation is a bit different from the one of Greg: I have 100K images catalog on a modest hardware setup, just above minimal system requirements. No speed issues even if going from 8 GB to 16 would be recommended. The speed issues are not related to the catalog, they come from my system, particularly for the backups. I don't use face recognition nor smart tags, auto creations, which would be crippled by splitting catalogs anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines