• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Left-click randomly opens the sub-menu for each tool [PSE2 on Windows 7]

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen other people have this problem without any solutions, but I'm hoping there might be someone here who encountered it and has a solution now.

I have Photoshop Elements 2 (I've seen people with this problem with other versions of Photoshop as well, so I don't think this is specific to my version) and I'm on Windows 7 (I've seen this problem with Windows 10 as well, so I don't think it's specific to my OS either). Every time I click a tool in the toolbar, it opens the sub-menu/hidden tools for that tool. I have to click twice to actually select the tool I want to use, and it's really annoying.

Notes about this problem:

-IT DOESN'T HAPPEN ALL THE TIME. Sometimes when I boot it up, the tools behave normally. I have no idea what makes it work sometimes and not work others. It's NOT CONSISTENT.

-I've changed the double-click speed on my mouse and it does nothing. My mouse works perfectly on every other program on my computer, including other Adobe programs. It ONLY happens in Elements.

-I've closed and reopened the program (multiple times sometimes) and it's done nothing.

-I've reset my preferences and it's done nothing.

-I've reset the tools and toolbar and it's done nothing.

-I've restarted my computer and it's done nothing.

-I've adjusted my resolution up and down and it's done nothing.

-I've opened and closed other programs and it's done nothing.

-I've turned caplock and numlock on and off and it's done nothing. I've also tried holding ctrl, alt, or shift when clicking tools and it does nothing.

-I've tried letting my screensaver start and end while it was open and it does nothing.

-I had the program open when it was functioning properly, and I DID NOT change any settings or do anything strange or unusual in it, and it STARTED doing it on its own. Again, it booted up behaving normally and began doing this WHILE IT WAS STILL OPEN.

-Hotkeys for tools make them behave normally.

I'd really love some kind of fix or at least an explanation for why this keeps happening randomly.

TOPICS
Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @bort-bortbort 

Since your question is about Photoshop Elements, I have moved this from the Photoshop forum where you posted to PS Elements. 

Also, check to see if you are right-clicking accidentally. In Photoshop (where you posted), right-clicking a tool will bring up the sub-menu. I don't know if it's the same in Elements.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that you'r using 19 year old software in an unsupported OS is why it keeps happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Glenn 8675309 wrote:

The fact that you'r using 19 year old software in an unsupported OS is why it keeps happening.

Although I use Photoshop and not Elements, I do not think this is the reason.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way it's supposed to work is you have left click and hold for a split second for the sub-nenu to show.

I have pse 2 on windows 10 and unless i quickly left click on the tool and release the mouse right away the sub-menu appears.

One thing to note is right clicking on a tool in the toolbox does bring up the sub-menu instantly, so some people may have there mouse buttons reversed.

You could see if resetting the pse 2 preferences makes any difference.

Go to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop\Elements

and delete the

Photoshop Elements 2.0 Prefs folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines