• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing tags

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My old Mac stopped working – was using Elements version 18. I now have the old hard disk as an external hard disk. All photos are on a separate external hard disk.

Version 18 of Elements is downloaded on new Mac (Monterey 12.5).

I need help finding all tagging’s, albums, and faces.

Which directory or files should I look for on my old hard drive? Where should they be in the root structure on the new Mac? How do I import them or recreate them?

Does anyone have the solution - preferably in Norwegian?

After finding all tagging, I will install version 20 and use the latest version.

TOPICS
Import and export , Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your OS you need the latest version of PSE.   

PSE 2018 will not work with your OS- you need to purchase the latest version of PSE wihich is PSE 2022.
PSE 2020 will not work with your OS- you need to purchase the latest version of PSE wihich is PSE 2022.

DID YOU MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR OLD CATALOGE?

Med operativsystemet ditt trenger du den nyeste versjonen av PSE.

PSE 2018 vil ikke fungere med OS-en din – du må kjøpe den nyeste versjonen av PSE som er PSE 2022.
PSE 2020 vil ikke fungere med operativsystemet ditt – du må kjøpe den nyeste versjonen av PSE som er PSE 2022.

TAKK DU EN SIKKERHETSKOPI AV DIN GAMLE KATALOG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Glenn may have misunderstood your post.  As I believe you correctly state, Elements version 18 is known as Elements 2020, and Elements version 20 is known as Elements 2022.  However, as Glenn says, only Elements 2022 will work properly on your new OS. 

The best way to restore your tags etc. is to retore a backup of your catalog that was created in Elements.  Otherwise you need to look for a file named catalog.pse18db. The folder in which that file is found will contain the contents of your old catalog.  If you transfer the folder to your new computer (or even have it available on an external drive), it should be possible retrieve the information.  The real problem will be if the photo files on your new computer are now in a different path (drive letter and directory structure).  If everything is in the same path as your old computer, you can double-click on the catalog.pse18db file and the catalog will be converted into the version 20 format and hopefully your files will be found.  If not, they will appear as missing files and you will have to reconnect them.

There may be other ways to retrieve the tag information, but let us know the answer to Glenn's question so that we don't waste our time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I was assuming when  Iread the original post:  version 18=PSE2018,   I wasn't even thinking about the naming convention when I responded.   

I wasn't sure if the file extensions was the same for the .pse18db file since in was a mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glenn, I'm not sure about the file name either, but I don't think I have ever seen a different file name mentioned.  I am pinging @Jeff Arola who will be able to correct me if I am wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replies, both Greg_S. and Glenn 8675309.

Yes, I find Catalog.pse18db on my old Mac (external hard disk). It is in a directory named Photoshop Desktop (attached) and was stored in Dropbox.

Should I put the entire Photoshop Desktop directory into my new Mac under the Support Files directory (attached)? Or should it be stored in Adobe cloud or iCloud?

I appreciate the helpfulness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is uncharted territory for me.  I always do things local if I can, and not use the cloud for much If I can help it.... that's just me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for replies, both Greg_S. and Glenn 8675309.

Yes, I find Catalog.pse18db on my old Mac (external hard disk). It is in a directory named Photoshop Desktop (attached) and was stored in Dropbox.

Should I put the entire Photoshop Desktop directory into my new Mac under the Support Files directory (attached)? Or should it be stored in Adobe cloud or iCloud?

I appreciate the helpfulness.

By @Harold 1998

Hi @Harold 1998 

Like Greg I am not a Mac user so I am not sure if the following will work.

The second screenshot shows what are components of your original catalog folder. I am not sure that they are all the files in that catalog, but I think so.

On Windows, I would create a new folder anywhere as a catalog folder named as you want. With Macs, I don't know if you can do that anywhere without explicit permissions...

Then I would copy and paste all components shown in your second screenshots into that folder and follow Greg's suggestion: double click on the file catalog.pse18db.

If that fails on account of missing components in your screenshot, you could try copying only the catalog.pse18db file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines