• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Monochrome filters: red, green, orange, yellow are missing in Camera Raw after reinstallation

Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a Windows 10 recovery I had to reinstall Photoshop Elements 13.
Since then the camera profiles: monochrome yellow, monochrome orange, monochrome red, monochrome green are missing in the Camera Raw dialog box. I am 100% positive Camera Raw did support these files for my Camera before I reinstalled Photoshop Elements 13. 
All updates have been performed, it is running the Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in version 9.0.0.414.
I wonder what is causing the issue and how can it be fixed.

Thanks in advance,

Tinzi

TOPICS
How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

I did a test install of pse 13 on a fresh install of windows 10 x64 20H2 and after updating to camera raw 9.0 there were no green, red, orange and yellow monochrome profiles.

Screenshot-(6).png

It was only after installing the adobe dng converter 13.2 that the profiles showed in camera raw 9.0

Screenshot-(9).png

Screenshot-(7).png

Even though your profiles are there i would try installing the dng converter 13.2 as an administrator.

https://console.adobe.io/servicesandapis

Right click on the AdobeDNGConverter_x64_13_2.exe and click

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no longer PSE13 installed on my computer, but I believe your problem is that you are trying to edit non raw files (jpegs, tiffs, psd...) in ACR, not the original raw files.

If that is the case, the camera profiles (including Black and White with colored filters) are not recognized in ACR.

Anyway, you can mimic the B & W conversion with orange colored filters by moving the temp and tint sliders to the right, then adjusting the luminosity and moving the sataturation slider to 0.

One big advantage of the current ACR 13.0 in PSE2021 is that you have a much richer and easier choice of profiles, independently from the profiles provided with the camera manufacturer. (drawbacks: no updated help file, unusable crop tool due to lack of GPU support).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I do open my original Nikon D750 NEF files in Camera Raw.
Here's a screen shot of the camera profiles' drop down menu in Camera Raw.

All the camera profiles are shown except the 4 monochrome color filters.

Drop down menu in Camera Raw Camera Prrofiles - kopie.png

The issue is that they were shown in the drop down menu before the reinstallation, and now they are not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I am not ready to reinstall PSE13 just to check on NEF samples imported from Internet that something has changed after reinstallation of the same ACR version. So, I assume and believe like you that some proprietary Camera profiles (not all) have disappeared after the reinstall.

- I have just checked with imported NEFs that the current PSE2021 does support those 'camera matching' profiles with ACR 13.0. including the 4 colored filters B&W profiles. Same for PSE2019.

- This indicates that Adobe continues to support the 'camera matching profiles' even if Adobe makes clear that they don't consider they have to according to this official position:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/what-does-camera-support-mean/5f5f46...

So, if you are sure that you are running ACR 9.0, I have no explanation myself. Remember that if you reinstall PSE13, it will need to be upgraded from 8.6 to 9.0.

I don't care myself for those B&W profiles which easily be achieved from the Adobe Standard and the 'basic' edits, with ease and flexibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an interesting link, thank you.

Yes indeed, I had to perform all updates in PSE13 before I could open the D750's Raw files.
So currently it is running Camera Raw 9.0. I'm also pretty sure my PSE13 had the latest updates installed before my Windows did crash.

I would find it odd if Camera Raw would have stopped supporting these Profiles.
I can think of anything else than somehow something must have gone wrong with the plug-in updates.

Except for the little inconvenience PSE13 seems to work well.
As you mentioned the camera profiles are not really indispensable. However I still would like to solve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to try resetting the preferences file. Go to Edit>Preferences>General tab and click the Reset Preferences on next launch button.  Don't bother doing this if you have already reset the preferences file during the uninstall of the program (after the problem arose).  But perhaps you ignored this option during the uninstall.  In theory, this places the program back into its original condition and this may include some registry entry that has become corrupt relating to the camera profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Reset Preferences on next launch button" didn't work.
Perhaps I will have to reboot the PC to get it's full impact.
I'll let you know if that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Rebooting the PC didn't make a difference.

But it got me thinking : )

I took a look into the the path: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera\Nikon D750

Camera Raw CameraProfiles - kopie.png

I also went deeper into:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings\Adobe\Profiles\Camera\Nikon

I discovered the D750 is missing.

As a brave pathfinder I have reached the point where my knowledge becomes less bright. 

I think I need further help. 

Camera Raw Settings - kopie.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing the Adobe DNG Converter 13.2 should reinstall any missing profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed the the Adobe DNG converter 13.2 to convert NEFs from newer camera models.

What should I do next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have converted D750 NEFs into DNGs, but that doesn't bring back the missing monochrome colored profiles when I open the DNG file in PSE13.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new day, a fresh mind ...

I did have a look into Edit > Preferences > Plugins

I noticed the folder for extra plug-ins is unchecked.
It asks me to choose a folder when I check it on.

Should this be done, and which folder should be chosen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did have a look into Edit > Preferences > Plugins

I noticed the folder for extra plug-ins is unchecked.
It asks me to choose a folder when I check it on.

Should this be done, and which folder should be chosen?

By @Tinzi5FB2

Ok, I found out I don't have to worry about leaving the "Additional Plug‑Ins Folder" unchecked.

"You can select an additional plug‑ins folder in which to load compatible plug‑ins stored with another application."

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop-elements/using/scratch-disks-plug-ins.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to reinstall PSE13 for the second time. This time I uninstalled it the proper way. After all I had to reinstall it the first time due of the operating System that got stuck. I assured myself I had reset the preferences in the uninstall wizard, reinstalled PSE13 and performed the updates again.

PSE13_updates after installation - kopie.PNG

It didn't work, the monochrome filter profiles are still missing when I open a NEF in Camera Raw.

A week ago I was still making use of these profiles.

Looking at the very recent dates they got modified in the program data is rather remarkable.

Camera Raw CameraProfiles - kopie.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's quite bizarre that the monochrome filters aren't shown after all that.

Could you try one of the Nikon D750 Nef files from here:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d750/nikon-d750GALLERY.HTM

I have pse 13 on a mac and the D750 nefs from above seem to show the different Camera Monochrome profiles.

pse13.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It gives the same result as with my own D750 NEFs.

Camera Raw_internet NEF sample - kopie.png

Could the Adobe Application Manager have something to do with it?

I installed PSE13 on my PC about 5 - 6 years ago. The recent reinstallations forced me to create an account, I never had Creative Cloud installed before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a test install of pse 13 on a fresh install of windows 10 x64 20H2 and after updating to camera raw 9.0 there were no green, red, orange and yellow monochrome profiles.

Screenshot-(6).png

It was only after installing the adobe dng converter 13.2 that the profiles showed in camera raw 9.0

Screenshot-(9).png

Screenshot-(7).png

Even though your profiles are there i would try installing the dng converter 13.2 as an administrator.

Right click on the AdobeDNGConverter_x64_13_2.exe and click Run as adminstrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Screenshot-(6).png

Screenshot-(9).png

Screenshot-(7).png

Right click on the AdobeDNGConverter_x64_13_2.exe and click Run as adminstrator

By @Jeff Arola

Yes, this solved the problem!

PSE13_Camera Raw 9_Camera Profiles - kopie.png

The missing camera profiles are now back when I open the NEF files in Camera Raw.

A PC reboot was required to take effect.

Thank you very much Jeff, thanks for all the effort you took for this.

I also like to thank everyone for their support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines