• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move Catalog AND Pictures to another Drive

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a newbie to Photoshop Elements Organizer 2019 so sorry if this has been already answered.  Also not sure of the lingo as to how Organizer works.  Did read a lot on the site but not sure I understand it.  I'm running the software on a Windows 10 machine.

Here is my situation.  I have all my photos in various folders within "E:/Pictures" on my E: drive.  I then used Organizer to Import the photos into a folder called "0PhotoElementsOrgCatalog" within E:/Pictures. What I thought would happen was it would create a relatively small catalog folder.  However the size of the folder is about 90Gigs.  I have about 13,000 photos.  Within this folder I see files called "B0000000.cache, B0000001, B0000002, B0000003.xmp (tons of XMP files), tons of .json files, tons of .jpg files, my .mov files, my .m4v files).  All my original photos & videos are still in the folders they should be.  

Now that I know that Organizer created such a large folder, I want to move this folder to a different drive which has a lot more space.  Let's say the H: drive.  I first used the "Manage Catalogs" action to "Move" the Catalog to a "Custom Location" which I said the H: drive.  It created a "MyCatalog" Folder but it is only about 1.2 Gigs.  It clearly didn't move the imported pictures/movies files I shared above.  

What I want to know is: What is the proper way to move this 90 Gig "0PhotoElementsOrgCatalog" folder from the E Drive to the H drive.  I've already put in some amount of effort into doing the facial recognition and people tagging of photos.  So I don't want to loose my work.

If someone could explain how to move this folder, this would be greatly appreciated. I hesitate calling this the "catalog folder" as I'm the one who named this large folder "0PhotoElementsOrgCatalog".  Plus when I used the Move catalog instruction, it moved a folder called "My Catalog" (assume a default name) to the H: drive.  I hope this is clear.  It is confusing what these folders are...

TOPICS
Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that you used the Organizer's Backup feature to create the 90GB folder.  A backup contains a copy of both the catalog files (and all the tags and other data such as face recognition information) and all of the media files within the catalog.  You can use Windows File Explorer to move the folder to a different drive.  It may just be easier (and safer) to create a new Backup of your catalog in the location where you want it to be.  Once you create the backup in the correct location you can delete the unwanted folder.

The Move command in the Manage Catalogs dialog only moves the catalog folder (with all its data).  It does not move the media (photo and video files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines