Exit

Move images from Drobpox

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019

Organizer

I have photos in my Dropbox folder on PC. They are distributed across several Keywords

Can I, without messing up anything, move pictures from Dropbox folder on my PC

To a new folder on PC and maintain or re-establish the association with Keywords?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019

Organizer

I have photos in my Dropbox folder on PC. They are distributed across several Keywords

To a new folder on PC and maintain or re-establish the association with Keywords?

By @timod671320

When you use the organizer to 'move' files in your folder structure, the organizer:

- moves the files to the new destination master folder (from the menu File >> move or by drag and drop in the left folders panel in tree mode). This is similar to what you can do in the Explorer.

- updates the record storing the properties of your file(s) in the catalog for the new location. No other properties like keywords are changed. That's something the explorer won't do.

So, you can select files of specific subfolders in your Dropbox system folder and move them outside of that Dropbox folder. Just try with some test images. When you move a subfolder like this, its own subfolders are moved at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Keywords Work

I don't understand what you mean by " updates the record storing the properties of your file(s) in the catalog for the new location."

Where do I find it.

I've moved the images but

No Keywords Work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @timod671320 ,

Before trying to answer your second post, I need to come back to your first one.

You say:

"I have photos in my Dropbox folder on PC. They are distributed across several Keywords

To a new folder on PC and maintain or re-establish the association with Keywords?"

I don't understand what you mean by "they are distributed across several Keywords". That does not mean anything about the way the photo files are stored and located on your computer and dropbox. The keywords and tags are just labels or short notes attached to the database record storing the description of your file in the catalog.

"Can I..."

You can.

How can you?

Only by telling the organizer to do the move to another location as explained in my first answer. Not in moving the files directly from the Windows explorer. That would move the files from folder or disks in the same way, but the description record of the files in the catalog would not be updated. Since the location of each photo file is known to the catalog by that piece of info, it will still reflect the old location, not the new one. That's why when you tell the organizer to move files, it not only moves them but it also automatically update the description record to the new location.

No Keywords Work

I don't understand what you mean by " updates the record storing the properties of your file(s) in the catalog for the new location."

Where do I find it.

I've moved the images but

No Keywords Work

By @timod671320

To find the catalog location of a photo file selected in the organizer, use the right panel in 'Information' mode. In the 'General' tab, you have a field location.

Please describe in more details what you did (move from the organizer?) and what you are doing to find photos from their keywords.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines