• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move one photo to pin registered on top of another

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm following a text that to expand the range of a photo you take the file, modify it, then save it. Then you open the same file, modify it, and use the move tool and the shift key to drag and drop the one on top of the other. Unfortunately it's not working. The author does not say what format to use for the first file, just to use Save As and rename it. Then adjust the image, open the first one saved under another name, Float All in Windows, hit V for the move tool, hold down the shift key and drag and drop it on top of the other. That's supposed to create a new layer, "pin-registered" on top of the other one, but it's not working. No new layer, no combination into one file. How do I make this work?

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

I don't see anything in your screenshot that should keep you from dragging one photo to another.

You could reset the photoshop elements editor preferences by going to Edit>Preferences>General, clicking on

Reset Preferences on next launch and restarting the photoshop elements editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of photoshop elements and operating system are you using?

Instead of Floating the Document Windows you could use Layout>All Column, then drag over you photo

Make sure you click on the photo to drag over and get the the Move Tool icon before dragging.

Untitled-1.jpg

Screenshot-(1030).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Photoshop Elements 2020 running on Windows.

I can't find Layout>Columns, but tried Windows>Image>Tile with the two files open so at the start it looked like your setup. Clicked Move, held down the Shift key and dragged one image on top of the other and let go. Nothing. Still two files and no level added.

The starting file is a DNG file. After making the changes in that one in saving it there was no option for DNG format, so I saved it as PSD. That should make it similar to your example of dragging a PSD file on top of a Nikon RAW file, but it just doesn't work.

Thanks for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the files could be 16 bits/channel.

With both images open in photoshop elements go to Image>Mode and see if your able to click on 8 Bits/Channel

for each image, then try moving one image to the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option for 8 bits/channel was greyed out for both files. Moving them still accomplished nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot with both images open side by side?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it helps, but I picked two random photos of my own and tried to merge them like that. It didn't work. No new layer, no merged photo.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see anything in your screenshot that should keep you from dragging one photo to another.

You could reset the photoshop elements editor preferences by going to Edit>Preferences>General, clicking on

Reset Preferences on next launch and restarting the photoshop elements editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bingo! Thank you so much for putting in the time to find the solution! That was it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines