• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving Organizer to a new computer

Participant ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 122,000 phots to move to a second computer, both in Organizer.  Windows 10. Never had a problem before, although have not done it for a year, I wonder if there is a quick rundown.  I seem to be doing it all correctly, via an external hard drive in 'E' but now when I go through 'Restore' ,I get a message  - 'The disc in Drive Samsung (E) does not contain a valid backup'  Help please.

TOPICS
Import and export , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Elements are you using?

If a valid backup file cannot be found, there's not much that can be done other than do a full backup again.  Before you do so, make sure you repair and restore the catalog on your original computer from the File>Manage Catalogs dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just so I understand what is happening, did you browse to the correct location on your external drive, using the restore catalog?

Ashampoo_Snap_Wednesday, October 7, 2020_11h41m01s_001_.png

Try searching for a file with a .tly extension, in Windows File Explorer to see whether the backup file exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Yes, tly file.    It has always worked before.  I tried it with 2 different external hard drives,  and yes, when trying to restore, it shows the tly file, but then a teh last moment, it will not work.

I obviously do this as back-up in case anything goes wrong with my Organizer, which represents 15 years of work for me.

My Organizer is on PSE 2020 and the back-up computer has PSE 14.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I 'Browse' it does pick up the tly okay. I then click restore to a new
location, and it is only then it will not work.

Ian

www.natureandpictures.com

Sunny Bournemouth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this on another laptop - a third one.  Once again it would not recognise the E File.  This suggests that there is some fault at the original Back-up rather than the restore.  It seems to work okay, but is not.  Any suggestions?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestions?

Create a new full backup, after repairing and optimizing the catalog.  (And make sure the catalog does not have any missing files.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnak you.  Tried that but no joy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My "monkey" suggestion:  go here:  C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs

Just manually copy it to a thumb drive and put it in the correct location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.  I am no good at files etc.  I have opened the file location thingy as you suggested, but do not know what you mean by a thumb drive and putting it into the correct location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines