• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving Photos to New Computer, Need to Reconnect all photos?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question: is there an easier way than manually reconnecting all photos when I move them to a new server?

TMI: I keep all my photos  on a server, and use a mapped drive to access them (I know - not Adobe's preferred method, but it allows me to get to the photos on more than one computer).  I will be moving to a new server, which means new mapped drive designations.  Photoshop Elements insists on using the full distinguished path, for example \\Win12Data\photos\David\Adobe\Digital Camera Photos\2020 06 06, rather than the mapped drive letter.

In the past, the only way to correct for the new server name was to go into Organizer and manually reconnect all photos. This is a PITA, to say the least, with well nearly 15k photos in various catalogs, so I'm looking for an easier solution.  I can't find anywhere to make a 'global' change like the one I'm looking for.

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way is probably to do a Backup and Restore.  When you do the restore, you should be able to transfer them to the new server drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I'm doing, but it's tedious with multiple catalogs, and Elements gags on my largest catalog.  There also doesn't appear to be a way to redirect the restore to a new top-level folder and keep the underlying folder structure; Elements insists on recreating the entire folder structure, including the server name. Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Suggestion: use a two-steps migration method:

-1- start with the full backup method as you have done

... restore on an internal or external drive checking the option to keep original location folder structure.

... Test the result and be sure note the new catalog location (help >> system info). If you want, move it to default location from the catalog manager or manually.

... don't mind the 'full' path with redundant empty subfolders

- 2 -Continue with using the left folders panel to move the meaningful folders from that temporary drive to the LAN.

... The left folders panel must be in tree mode (not list) and you can see the source of the move as well as the destination.

... You have to drag and drop the useful folders under the system levels (under User/Your name/Pictures') to the new destination. If all those folders are grouped under a common master folder under 'Pictures', You move all your library with a single drag and drop.

... Obviously, that implies copying all the library which may take hours. Don't interrupt the process and be patient.

... If you have moved the catalog to the default location, that's all you have to do. Otherwise the catalog will stay in the 'custom' location it has been created in.

... If you are happy with the result, completely delete the restored library from the intermediate temporary drive. All the media files should have been 'moved' to the LAN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue. The reason was, that I on old computer had another username than on new computer. I fixed it by renaming the files after restoring catalogue. NB: Rename in organiser, not in file manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines