Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nach Stapelverarbeitung "Umbenennen" wurden alle Dateien größer

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo ,

über die Funktion "Mehrere Dateien verarbeiten" habe ich alle Fotos eines Ordners umbenannt.

Danach war die Dateigröße der Bilder fast doppelt so groß, obwohl ich keinerlei Änderungen bei der Bildgröße angegeben habe.

Was ist da passiert? Wie "pumpt" Photoshop Elements die Bilder auf?

Wie kann ich das verhindern?

Danke für Hilfe vorab!

LG

Frau Fuppes

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems strange.  Did you change the format of the images?  The only other possibility I can think of that might change the file size is if you have tagged the photos in the Organizer.  I'm guessing that when the batch renaming takes place, the metadata is also written to the file.  But that would be a very small change in size.  Has this happened more than once?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Greg, Thanks for your quick answer. 😊 

I did not change the file size, I assumed that I could have done this by mistake when I  first renamed the images.

But it happened the second time also, then I definitely did not mark the settings for resizing and I did not tag them in the Organizer.

So it is really strange... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made a few quick tests.

The issue is linked with the way jpeg files are compressed in size.

Usually, changing the name of a file is not considered an edit of an image such as the edits made from the editor, that change is change in the file as it is known to the Windows explorer, so you don't use the 'process multiple files' command of the editor, you rename from the Windows explorer. Only the name is changed, the jpeg file image is not decompressed, edited and re-compressed when it is saved. With the editor, the batch command above can apply several changes at the same time, changing format or size for instance. In such cases, it's logical to be able to rename the file at the same time.

Re-saving a jpeg will always produce a bigger file size in kilobytes if you choose the best quality (low compression) option in the process multiple file dialog.

You don't use the organizer which is the tool for renaming your files without changing anything to image (no jpeg decompression and recompression), only a change in an orientation tag in the metadata header of the jpeg files. That's what the Windows Explorer would do ; the organizer does the renaming while keeping the links in the catalog to the new renamed files. Unfortunately, the renaming templates in the organizer are less flexible than those of the editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for making a few tests. 😊 

I used the Editor for the batch process and did not change the quality of the images.

Perhaps the problem lies really in the way, Photoshop Elements handles the batch process.

I assumed that it does not really open the files for renaming them, like the Windows Explorer does. And the process was very quick.

When you change the format for instance, it does take much longer and you see that the images are opened, resized and closed. This did not happen while the renaming process. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines