• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

need to eliminate duplicate photos from elements 2019

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i recently had to reinstall photoshop elements 2019 on a new computer. After re-installing elements  i imported all my photos and videos from files that were saved on an external backup drive. {it was not an  elements backup} the result was that i now have as many as 3 to 4 duplicate photos and videos in the new elements app catalog. my question is this, if i first back up my now new elements files with the elements app process to an external drive and then use a third party program to identify all the duplicate files and delete the duplicates from the elements backup, can i then delete all the photos from the still existing elements catalog on my windows 10 computer and import the now cleaned up external file with only single photos and videos from the external backup drive to adobe photoshop elements? and if done this way will i lose any of the of the albums or other edits that i have done previously in elements?  Also when I import the cleaned up elements backup file what will happen to all of the xmp files and json files that will still exist in the external backup folder that pointed to the now deleted duplicate phots? 

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing that what you propose to do will work.  But, before using that approach, I would try to figure out why  you have the duplicates.  The first thing I would do is look at a set of duplicates and see what folders they are in.  You can determine that either from the Information Panel, or right-click on a file and choose Go to folder.  Perhaps that will give you a clue as to the reason for the duplication.  If a pattern emerges, you may have an easy way to delete the duplicates from the catalog. 

How are the files organized on your external drive?  Do you have multiple backups stored there?

How many total files do you have in your catalog?  And how many of them do you think are duplicates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to answer your other questions about .json and .xmp files etc.  Are you trying to save work that you have performed since importing files on your new installation?  Or are you talking about Albums etc. that were in a previous catalog?  Any Albums cannot be transferred from one catalog to another.  Any face recognition performed will also not transfer except via a backup/restore, although People names may be imported into the Imported Keyword Tags category, under certain circumstances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason for the duplicates is that I had photos saved in different places and did not understand that elements would permit duplicates to enter the catalog. I was just trying to be sure I had all my photos loaded. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am referring to the fine extensions that will be left in the backup folder when I delete the duplicate photos.  Some of The photos I plan to reload will have been tagged in some cases but the related extensions should come in with the photo I hope 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines