• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New catalog showing wrong photo location after hard drive upgrade.

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I upgraded my old HHD to a larger SSD. I cloned the old D: drive and made the old drive the Z: drive and on the Z drive I put all old files in a folder named OldZ. When I look at the file info I see that PSE is looking for the files on Z:

I created a brand new catalog and imported the files from D: and they showed correctly in the File Info. But when I closed PSE and opened it again later, the files showed not found and PSE was looking in Z: again.

Would anyone have a solution? I have thousands of photos and Reconnect would take forever.

Thanks,

Dieter

TOPICS
Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Hi Dieter,

The organizer stores the files location in its database in two segments:

- the full path (the folder tree structure)

- the drive identification, which is NOT ONLY the drive letter. The 'volume_table' stores  the drive letter, but also the internal serial number of the drive assigned in Windows and the volume name.

Volume_table-1.jpg

If you 'clone' your old drive, this normally assigns the same drive serial number, which will create confusion in the database if you are using both drives at the same

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dieter,

The organizer stores the files location in its database in two segments:

- the full path (the folder tree structure)

- the drive identification, which is NOT ONLY the drive letter. The 'volume_table' stores  the drive letter, but also the internal serial number of the drive assigned in Windows and the volume name.

Volume_table-1.jpg

If you 'clone' your old drive, this normally assigns the same drive serial number, which will create confusion in the database if you are using both drives at the same time.

You can check the serial number of a drive from the command line 'Vol X:' where X is the drive letter. You get the serial in hexadecimal number.

More details in the help doc of John R Ellis.

https://johnrellis.com/psedbtool/#_Writing_File_Metadata

Change a Drive’s Volume Serial Number

I am not sure if removing the old drive or if assigning a new serial number as suggested in that doc would solve your problem. Generally, it is recommended to use the normal process of a full backup then a restore rather than cloning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that did it. I changed the serial number of the old drive and it is working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dieter,

Thanks for the confirmation that changing the serial did work.

You are not alone to fall into the 'clone' trap. Very happy it worked for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines