• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No lokal copy of SD Card

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use an SD Card as a usual drive. On the SD Card is Onedrive with my private files. The original files are on the cloud (master). I've a local copy of all files.

When I use the Photoshop Elements Organizer he creates in my windows photo library a folder "Adobe" to import files from SD Card.

My library is saved on a SD Card together with all my files from OneDrive. I use the SD Card as storage extension for my limited SSD. So my local Onedrive and all my Windows libraries are on the SD Card.

This creates a circle. Photoshop Organizer copies now my library (on the SD Card) in a sub-folder of my library on the same SD Card all files. More or less each file is duplicated. Since my library is original on Onedrive all the duplicated files are uploaded to my Onedrive too. So the import feature of the Organizer eats my local and cloud space 

I use the SD Card because my SSD does not have sufficient space for files. I can't upgrade my SSD without to break my notebook (Surface Pro).

Is there a way (settings) to create local copies from external drives completely? Or can I alternatively uninstall the Organizer and use Photoshop  and Premiere Elements standalone? 

TOPICS
Import and export , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be really hard to help you as so many of your choice can't and won't work:

"I use an SD Card as a usual drive"

Not recommended in generally and unsafe with the Organizer.

On the SD Card is Onedrive with my private files.

As far as I know, the system OneDrive system folder should be located on your internal drive.

the original files are on the cloud (master).

The organizer can't access the files on your 'Cloud', only those on the 'synced' system folder on your internal drive.

I've a local copy of all files. I've a local copy of all files..

You mean they are 'synced' ?

So to be somehow positive, the question would be how to make the most of what you have now:  your laptop, your SD card and your OneDrive app.

- You can't easily upgrade your internal SSD. Its size should be at least 256 Go and even 1TB to be able to store your very important 'scratch disk' for heavy work.

- You won't be able to work without one or more external drives (not SD card). First to store your library and your backups. Just think about the future size of your library. On the other hand, even if you manage to use OneDrive for a partial backup solution, you'll need to be able to backup and restore for safety and migrations to other drives or computers. External drives are cheap and reliable today. Some are SSD and very small to accompany the laptop.

- You can still use big SD cards to store parts or whole of your library, but don't use them to store backups.

- To spare space on your present internal SSD, the following assets should be moved to the external drive:

... The library

... The catalog folders

... The OneDrive system folder and possibly other Windows system drives (downloads...)

- To get the most of OneDrive, maybe don't trust only that 'Cloud' solution for a backup in case of a stolen or broken computer. Maybe, manage only a subset of your library within the OneDrive system folder which will be used more for sharing than for backups.  You can copy your catalog folders periodically to the Cloud if that duplication on the system drive is acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dirk27348364zmrh said:
This creates a circle. Photoshop Organizer copies now my library (on the SD Card) in a sub-folder of my library on the same SD Card all files. More or less each file is duplicated. Since my library is original on Onedrive all the duplicated files are uploaded to my Onedrive too. So the import feature of the Organizer eats my local and cloud space 

I agree with everything Michel has said but I'm not sure he has addressed this problem.  It seems to me that you are probably importing files into the catalog using the Import>From Camera or Card Reader option.  When you do this, Elements is copying the files from the SD card where you are storing the files to the location you have specified in the dialog - the same SD card.  If you were using an SD card in the normal way, this would be OK.  But you are not.  Since the files are already stored on the SD card, and since you are using it as a substitute for a hard drive, you need to Import>From Files and Folders.  The files will then be imported into the catalog from the place that you are storing them and wish to keep them.  No copying will take place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for getting back.

I didn't want to discuss if it is clever to use a SD Card as drive in Windows. My question is if I can disable that Organizer treads the SD Card as removal device and creates copies of the files. Seems to be that this is not possible and I need to disable the Organizer or better don't use it. Hopefully I will then not miss out on features in Premiere and Photoshop Elements. If so I will need to look for alternatives. Thanks there are a lot of on the market. I'm new to Adobe and I can switch easily.

Yes, my Onedrive is synchronized on the SD Card. That works very well as long as the SD Card is always in the device. That's by default the case. An external HDD would may be missed and then Windows creates new OneDrive folders on the internal SSD (what I don't want) when the real external HDD is not connected to the notebook. I don't care if the SD Cards gets damage. I have the master on the cloud and local backups on external drives. Just replace and start to sync will solve it.

I had good experiences in the past where my local backups where broken but the cloud worked. The reason for this was simple. I gave the hotline a call and they have backups too. Next day (synced at night) and all my missed files were back.

By the way the policy of Onedrive would permit that the Onedrive user grants the Organizer access to Onedrive. So, it's a decision by Adobe to not implement a feature to make use off. I assume mainly cause Adobe offers cloud space for pictures too.

Wasn't it the case that Adobe even offers that professionals save their daily hard work on Adobe cloud? May I missunderstand the Adobe marketing, but that's my understanding. Why it's possible and reliable with Adobe but not with Microsoft (or Google or Dropbox)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By the way the policy of Onedrive would permit that the Onedrive user grants the Organizer access to Onedrive. So, it's a decision by Adobe to not implement a feature to make use off. I assume mainly cause Adobe offers cloud space for pictures too.

Wasn't it the case that Adobe even offers that professionals save their daily hard work on Adobe cloud? May I missunderstand the Adobe marketing, but that's my understanding. Why it's possible and reliable with Adobe but not with Microsoft (or Google or Dropbox)?

By @Dirk27348364zmrh

That's only in your imagination.

It's not an 'access authorization' at all. That's a technical reality. Just look at Adobe software offerings: those using the 'Cloud' have been built specifically to work with the Cloud. That implies not only storing data but moving some or most local computing power to the 'Cloud'. Just for that, you can understand that Adobe wants to work in its own Cloud.

I can't imagine that the Marketing would NOT want to have better integration with alternative 'Cloud' offerings.

There is no way to access any Cloud  storage in Elements which has been created since more than 20 years for managing files stored on the internal drive. No way to access any 'Cloud' directly, not in the Adobe Cloud, the Dropbox one which I am using together with OneDrive.

Greg has answered your question about the 'import' choice. So, you can work to a certain extent with your initial solutions apart from the too small SSD drive. My warning is that your backup and safety workflow will not work at all with the organizer catalogs. You don't need the hotline to recover your library, but neither the hotline nor you can restore the catalogs with the links to the replacement computer drives.

Of course, if the organizer is not important for you, simply ignore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dirk27348364zmrh, I think we were cross-posting and you may not have seen my post. I believe I have answered your question how to stop the Organizer from copying files to and from the SD card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines