Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

older .nef files

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't elements 21 import .nef files prior to 2011? I keep getting message that they are not supported.

Do I need to get a converter of some type?

TOPICS
How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please review this:

FAQ: Will Photoshop Elements work with my camera, ... - Adobe Support Community - 4303022

You may need the DNG plug-in if your camera is not compatible with PSE,

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on the camera model that the NEF came from. You can check supported camera list here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Walter in Davie, FL

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Nikon but I remember seeing old discussions about NEF files which could not be opened even if they opened previously. It was found to be NEF files which had been processed in the meantime with a faulty Nikon transfer software. A solution was quickly found, so it may be difficult to find the relevant discussions.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In case the nefs have been corrupted by Nikon transfer:

https://exiftool.org/fix_corrupted_nef.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines