• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Organiser and corrupt files

Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Elements 2020 + update on new Dell Inspiron 3881 (i3 cpu running at 3.6 to 4.2, 8 Gb of Ram, onboard graphics ),  Organiser shows a lot of photos as being corrupt ie grey rectangle, top right corner folded over and jagged line acoss. Files show as good on hard drive, and Windows 10 displays photos fine. NOW comes the interesting/confusing part, Organiser will not open them, BUT Editor does! All I have to do is select them, click on Editor, and before it has finished loading, the files are shown in all theit glory! It makes no diference as to format, ARW,MRW, jpeg,tiff, scans to jpeg or tiff, all show as "corrupt". All I do is select files, click on editor, let it load and then when loaded close it without any editing and photos remain as intended, WHY and what is going on? Please do not suggest uninstall/reinstall, as I have had enough of that.

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Thank you, you wonderful people. Thumbnails now all visible after renewing cache and optimising the catalog (as recommended by someone else ). I have also moved the photo catalog folder to the C drive, as it runs a faster 7200rpm drive to the photo drive at 5400rpm, also only having 1 stick of ram at present everything had to go back and forward to the same drive slowly! New ram will be bought when available again. I have posed another question under "backup order" for you to ponder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Sounds like it could be one of two things:

1. The images exceed the maximum size limit:

Photoshop Elements maximum image size limits

2. The thumbnail cache needs clearing:

Troubleshoot catalog issues in Elements Organizer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the help.

Clearing and renewing cache as I type. Had a slight problem renaming cache due to Auto Creations, but turning that off, restarting PC enabled it. In the link I noticed the photo catalog folder was in the C drive,I have my photo catalog folder in the same external hard drive as the photos, due to problems with HD ( too many, too croewded, duplicates, so a bit of housekeeping was needed ) So I copied it there for safety, should I move it to the C drive or leave it where it is, and if moving how easy is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

You can move the catalog folder if you wish, but it doesn't really matter where it is located, although the faster the drive the better. The catalog itself is not particularly large in size - it's purely a database containing information about your images, not the images themselves. In short, I'd probably leave it where it is for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you try right clicking the corrupted thumbnail and select 'Update thumbnail'?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, you wonderful people. Thumbnails now all visible after renewing cache and optimising the catalog (as recommended by someone else ). I have also moved the photo catalog folder to the C drive, as it runs a faster 7200rpm drive to the photo drive at 5400rpm, also only having 1 stick of ram at present everything had to go back and forward to the same drive slowly! New ram will be bought when available again. I have posed another question under "backup order" for you to ponder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines