• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Organiser renames the wrong file

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a ridiculous problem with PE2020 (version 18.0.0.0).  When I am in Organizer, I use full screen view to check my images, deleting those that do not meet the quality test, and then I use the Info box to give my images a new, more meaningful name, rather than the DCP number assigned by the camera.  However occasionally, but increasingly regularly, Organizer doesn't rename the image that is on the screen but gives the new filename to another image anywhere from 3 to 8 images back in the folder order (and which I would have already renamed).  It leaves the image I was trying to rename unchanged - except that when I then try again to rename it, it says it can't because that filename already exists (for the 'wrong' image it has renamed earlier).

It is very annoying and disrupting to workflow, and does seem to be some inherent flaw in PE2020

I can't for the life of me work out what prompts this very irritating quirk, although I think it might sometimes (but not always) relate to also giving the image a star rating in the info box.

Can anyone help with any understanding of what's happening and how to guard against it (and the considerable cursing that usually results!!!).  Thanks in anticipation

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The flaw has always been there in all Elements versions. It's that when you browse your files in 'full screen mode - F11 shortcut), then the syncing with the browsing in the organizer is lost. It's as if you were working in two different apps. This creates various problems like yours. Unfortunately this very old feature of Elements is not likely to be improved in my opinion.

So, my advice is to use the full screen mode for its nice and simple way to browse in slideshow mode, but to use another workflow for analyzing and culling. There are better and free tools to cull images after download to a temporary folder and before importing in a catalog.

If you take into account the other drawback of the feature  (it is awfully slow to open), then rather keep both the editor and the organizer open at the same time. Simply click on the editor icon to open your file in the editor and use the shortcuts to switch to 100% or fit in zoom when you allow floating documents in expert mode (editor preference).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks for your clear reply, Michel - an annoying glitsch, but, as you say, one that can be worked around.  It's good to know it's not some misstep by me!

Just as a supplementary to that, I assume that's also why file rename sometimes stops working completely in full screen mode (f11 shortcut), so that it won't accept a new name. I have to close, then reload, Elements to get it to work again. Also annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines