• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Organizer Catalog

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded PS Elements from the 2018 version to the 2021 version.  When I imported my catalog the program copied all of my photos from my D drive (where I keep them) to C: Program Data and redid all of the tags to the new location.  Any way to fix this so the catalog shows the original location and copise aren't moved the the C drive?

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you import your old catalog?  Elements does not copy photos from one location to another unless you told it to do so. 

When you first opened, Elements 2021, you would have been given the option to convert your old catalog to the Elements 2021 format.  I suspect that you didn't follow this procedure but instead restored your old catalog and changed the location to your C: drive. 

The only other possibility is that you are not understanding what files are in the Program Data folder.  This is the normal location for the catalog folder.  That folder does not contain copies of your photos.

So please tell us what you actually did and we can probably tell you how to fix any problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct - I restored the old catalog.  I assumed that would work as the files were on my D drive and that they would stay there.  My catalog has always been on the C drive. .  The pictures / video are still on the D drice with an exact copy in C Program Data Adobe Elements Organizer Catalogs.  What is the easiest way to fix this - uninstall Elements and Reinstall?  I assume that I would need to delete the Program Data files as well as anything under Users.  Would this work or is there a work around

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think if I were in your situation, I would first convert your old Elements 2018 catalog to Elements 2021, then assuming that is working properly with links to the media on your D drive, you can delete the media files from the Program Data folder.  (That is a terrible place to put them.)  So, if you agree with that plan, do the following:

1. Go to File>Manage Catalogs and click the Convert button.  This will open a new dialog.
  2. Your prior Elements 2018 catalog should be listed.  If it is, select it, and click the Convert button.
  3. Once the catalog has been converted, open it in the Manage Catalogs dialog and confirm that everything is working OK with the media in the correct location and all of your existing tags applied.
  4. Once you are satisfied that the catalog is working as you wish in Elements 2021, delete the copies of your media that are found in the Program Data folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another complication.  I had an issue with my PC and did a complete reinstall of Win 10.  When I got to PS I decided to do an upgrade to 2012.  My catalog was on a backup drive which is why I did a restore.  Not even sure I had an option to convert.  What if I deleted the files from Program data (at least the catal;og files) and copied the old files back in.  When I follow your suggestion the old catalog file does not come up as an option to convert..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OKI - that worked.  Thank you for the assustance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines