• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PE 2020 - Cannot create/edit a Slideshow

Participant ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot edit a slideshow of 27 pictures/frame.

When I try to add another picture it appears in the pictures list after I select add pictures from the organizer but when I click outside of the picture list it shows a message Generating Preview and the program freezes/crash.

A slide show should be able to include as much as 250 pictures/frames. 

Why is it chrashing when I try to exceed 27 pictures/frames.

Thanks in advance for help

Thanks

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using?

Try turning off all media analysis from the Edit>Preferences>Media Analysis dialog.  If you have a large catalog, the media analysis can be a resource hog and interferes with performing other operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the delay replying.

I am using Win10 (64 bits).

As a matter of facts, my catalog contains more then 35,000 pictures but they have all been analysed for face recognition.

Should I disable Media Analysis?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yves,

Thanks for reaching out. Could you please share more details? Have you faced this issue earlier with previous versions of EO? Could you also please try to create a slideshow using different media? Are you not able to add any media or is it some specific media with which you're facing this issue? Also, could you please create a new catalog and create a slideshow in the new catalog?

Thanks and regards,

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron,

I have done a few test since your reply and let me share the results with you.

First of all, I have never faced any problem with Element Organizer for PE7, PE15 or PE2020. Let me also explain what I am trying to achieve. Last fall I made a trip to Europe where I took more then 500 pictures. I wish to make a slide show (PART I and PART II with ~ 250 pictures in each) with an opening slide indicating OUR TRIP TO EUROPE - 2019. As a second Text slide I want to title BRUXELLE - 11 Septembre with the pictures taken there to show. Futher on I want to add a second Text Slide indicating BERLIN - 12 September. So on so forth for every city we visited.

Hence, after your suggestions:

• I have created a brand new catalog in PE2020 including the 40,158 pictures stored on my PC.
  • I disabled all analysis and created a new slideshow of 200 JPG pictures. It took a long while, but the slideshow was generated with a Text Slide (Theme: WaterColor; Memories of ...) at the beginning.
  • Then I saved the slideshow to the Organiser.
  • Ounce my slideshow saved, I went back to the Organizer.
  • I then reopen my slideshow to edit it to add my Text slide Indicating BERLIN - 12 September. It took a while but PE generated the slide show.
  • However I have a very hard time to play that slideshow within the SLIDESHOW EDITOR. It is very unstable. It skips some pictures or does not Pause when clicking the Pause button, when stopped it does not start when I hit the PLAY button. And neither when paused it does not Fast Forward or Rewind using the time bar at the button.
  • Note that it is very long regenerating my slideshow when I try to add more Text slides.

After many unseccessfull attemps to edit my slideshow fastly and a lot of frustration, I went back to my version of PE15. It is less fancy then PE2020 but it works perfectly. Most of all, it never fails (stop responding) and builts a slideshow at least 100 times faster than PE2020. I may exaggerate the speeds a litle but I can garantee 20 times faster.

What should I do now to make PE2020 create a slideshow as fast and reliably then PE15.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. If I may abuse your help, can you indicate me how to be notified of any response to my problem ONLY via my email address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron,

Hi am forwarding a couple of screenshots that might help you diagnose my problem.

It is not obvious but all these screenshots were taken with the SLIDESHOW EDITOR in the background.

2020-02-21 (1).png

2020-02-21 (4).png

2020-02-21 (5).png

Note that I suspect 2 sessions of PE & PE Organizer to run at the same time (Ref. Photo 1). Also, I indicated before, all screenshots were taken with SLIDESHOW EDITOR in the background even if it does not appear in the screenshots. I also sent 2 Photoshop Crash message that I don't have screenshots and coul neither replicate.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yvesb said:

As a matter of facts, my catalog contains more then 35,000 pictures but they have all been analysed for face recognition.

Should I disable Media Analysis?

I would certainly try that.  There is much more to media analysis than face recognition.  The biggest resource hog seems to be Auto Creations.  So, actually, the first thing I would try is to turn off the Elements Auto Creations 2020 process in Windows Task Manager, and see if it helps.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.02.18_12h14m20s_001_.png

If that doesn't work, then please respond to Aaron's questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have disable all analysis option but it didn't fix the problem. I have also tried with Analysis turned on for photos. It also craches.

I have added 1 picture to the last photo in the slideshow and pressed SAVE in the upper right. Then, I press BACK on the upper right and I am prompted if I am to save to the organizer. I click SAVE again and the program hangs. After a while I receive a window's message indicating that PE is not responding. I click END. When I come back to my slideshow, I realize the last added picture has not been saved.

I will try Aaron's suggestions and get back to him later on.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YvesB, when you make a post, there is a checkbox to send an Email when someone replies.   I believe this overrides any settings you may have in your account profile.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.02.21_19h50m53s_004_.png

However, it would also be wise to change your notification settings in your forum profile:

1.  Click on your avatar in the top right of the sereen

2.  Click on Account Settings

3.  Click on the Notifications tab

4.  Check the appropriate boxes at the bottom of the dialog.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.02.21_19h42m48s_000_.png

As for the slow performance of Elements 2020 slideshows, what are the specs of your computer?  What CPU and graphics card and how much RAM? 

Also, for the screenshot of the Task Manager, can you click on the More details arrow at the bottom and also expand the entries for the Organizer. if more than one process is running, so that we see something like this:

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.02.21_20h02m22s_006_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the delay replying. I was away for a week.

As requested, I am forwarding you the requested screenshots.

2020-03-01.png

2020-03-01 (2).png

I don't think my PC is the problem. It's got all the power to run PE2020.

Now, when looking at the second Task Manager screenshot, I can't really detect any problem.

Indicate me what test to perform. This gets me really upset. My version of PE 2015 performs a lot better.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this Yves, this is great. I see that you have an Nvidi graphics card. Do you have any other built-in graphics card as well? To check please press Windows+R, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

In the console snap in that opens, kindly see if you have an "Intel HD Graphics" card under "Display adaptors" category. If so, please disable your Nvidia card by right-clicking on it and pressing "Disable".

Please attempt to create slideshow with the Nvidia card disabled and share the results. 

Regards,

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron,

Before performing futher tests, I'd like to know why I should disable my Nvidia GeForce GTX. My PC package came equipped with that card.

Further more, I made more testing:

1. I reinstall PE 2020 on my Internal HD instead of my SSD
  2. I tried editing my slideshow but PE 2020 freezes
    1. 2020-03-02 (1).png
    2. 2020-03-02 (2).png
  3. I made a slideshow project using PE15, using only 247 pictures and adding TEXT Slides, and my slide show works like a charm (PE15 can take as much as 512 slides Vs PE2020 can only works with less than 250 slides)
    1. It builts 20 times faster
    2. It never fails
    3. It behaves perfectly with both graphic card enabled
  4. To me, it looks like PE 2020 is bugged

Can we schedule a remote session so you view when it crashs.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yves,

Thanks. I understand your apprehensions regarding disabling your graphics card, but I assure you nothing will go wrong. Dual graphics system sometimes face issues in these areas, and we just want to be sure that the graphics card is not the issue. You just need to disable it for a few minutes, test slideshow in EO and you can then enable it again. You can continue to use your graphics as usual after that.

Regards,

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron,

For your info I disabled my Nvidia card and it makes no difference on PE 2020 performance. It just shutts off my second monitor.

Note also that I am available friday afternoon for a troubleshooting remote session.

Please confirm time and date.

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your computer is more than adequate to handle a slideshow easily. But, you have a smallish drive which I assume is an SSD for your system drive.  How much empty space does it have? 

And I don't see anything unusual in Task Manager.  Perhaps I should ask for some data as to what you consider is slow performance.  For example, if you have any slideshows created with Auto-creations, how long does it take from clicking the Open button to the time it starts playing in the Slideshow Editor?

What is the source and size of the photos that you are inserting in the slideshow?  I don't know that this would make any difference but I'm just trying to troubleshoot the problem. 

Are the files you are using stored on an internal or external drive or in the Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed my system/Windows drive is a SSD.

Before going further, would you recommend I reinstall PE2020 to in Internal HD.

I install PE2020 on my system drive hoping it would perform better.

Note also that my version of PE 2015 is install on an internal HD.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YvesB, you may have missed Aaron's question (because of the unfortunate way in which replies are organized on this forum).  Before doing anything further, please take a look to see whether both of your graphics cards are enabled.  (I believe your CPU has an internal graphics processor which is what Aaron is asking about.)  See Aaron's post on how to disable the nVidia card.  I think this will solve your problem with performance.

To answer your other question, I don't normally recommend installing an Adobe product anywhere other than the default location which will be your system SSD drive.  If Aaron's suggestion does not work, I might recommend putting the catalog folder on another drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  Windows 10   PE 2020.  Crashes,  can't edit project.  Annoyed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

janee, without you giving us more information, all we can give you is the same response to the same problem.  If you have two graphics processors, disable one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines