• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PE 2020-clone stamp- alt+Click not working on right side of the Keyboard. Works OK left side

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi friends,

I am having problem with my clone stamp. I have Photoshop elements 2020.

Clone stamp functions well with my left side alt+click of the keyboard.

On the right side of key board, if I press alt+click, I get a black arrow head symbol as shown in the attachment.

I did resetting the tools and also under preference -I reset the setting but no use.

Even fresh re-installing of PE 2020 did not help!

Can you help me please.

Thank you in advance.

Mickams

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you're presing ALT + CTRL on the right.  Just stop doing that and you will fine.  Or just use the left buttons, no real reason for you to keep  making work for yourself.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Glen 8675309,

I tried Phil DC advice, and now the right side alt key is woking fine.

Mickams

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mickams and @Glenn 8675309,

Bit of confusion here 🙂

@mickams you are using an International keyboard which has one Alt key on the left side of the keyboard and one Alt Gr key on the right side of the keyboard. As you've found out, they do not function in the same way. On a US keyboard, like @Glenn 8675309 's, there are just two Alt keys which are identical in behavior.

The Alt Gr key is used to access lots of foreign characters and international symbols which are common in non-US countries. See AltGr key on Wikipedia.

Unfortunately, holding down the Alt Gr key on its own is essentially the same as holding down Ctrl + Alt, so that's why @mickams is seeing the cursor change to the copy + move cursor, as Ctrl+Alt is the keyboard shortcut for that function.

@mickams if you're comfortable using the Windows Registry, there's a post on Stack Overflow that explains how to turn your Alt Gr key into a normal Alt key:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/460800

Hope that helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Glen And Phil DC.

My laptop has alt key board on either side of space bar.

There is no altGr key.

I am using English(India) key board.

Earlier it was working fine.

Right and left alt keys were perfect with clone stamp.

Now I don't know aht happened.

As I told you earlier only the left alt key functions well with clone stamp while rt one shows the double arrow head symbol.

I get double arrow head symbol the moment I press just alt key on left side of key board.I don't even add -click

Sadly my problem remains,

Thank both of you for taking trouble to help me.

I am not able to figure it out where things are going wrong.

Since I am a lay man in registry matters....I am helpless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you plug in a detached keyboard on the laptop and test if both ALT keys function  as expected? Perhaps the integrated keyboard if defective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Hatstead.

Same problem continues with detached key board.

Local Dell guy tested and told me that laptops key board is perfect.

Phil DC advice I tried and it was successful.

Thank you so much for all the help and guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mickams

Even though your right-hand side Alt key isn't engraved with "Alt Gr" it is acting like one as you are using the English (India) keyboard layout.

To test this out, if you hold the right-hand side Alt key down and press the number 4 key on the top row, do you get the ruppee symbol? If so, then that Alt key is actually an Alt Gr key.

If you're not comfortable with the registry, download the attached text file, change the file extension from .txt to .reg, then double-click on the file to change the necessary registry setting in order to turn your right-hand side Alt key into a standard Alt key 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Phil DC,

Since I am frightened to go through the registry, I contacted Dell support team.

Initially the guy told me that the problem is nothing to do with Dell and to check with adobe.

I told him what you suggested.

I requested him to assgn what ever values are there on my left side alt key..to assign to my right side alt key.

He did the same and viola! now it's wotking fine with the clone stamp.

Thanks a ton for the guidance and solving my problem.

God bless you.

Mickams

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines