• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos in All Media, but not in Folder view

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running PSE 15 on Windows 10.  I recently had to do a Restore when an external hard drive failed.  I restored everything to a new external drive.  The first batch of new photos I imported to the new drive after the restore displays in All Media, but not if I select the Folder where I imported them.   I can find them with a Search.  The Location in the information pane indicates the folder.  I tried a Reconnect Files, and also to Import Media.  Both functions run, and then tell me that the files already exist.  I can't figure this out.  Can anyone help? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Hello Arshla. I think I solved my own problem: there was another set of the photos in my catalog.  I deleted the duplicate files and all is well.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please provide one such screenshot of the application, where you have a folder selected in let panel and no photos show in Grid? I shall be able to assist you with the issue better.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Arshla. I think I solved my own problem: there was another set of the photos in my catalog.  I deleted the duplicate files and all is well.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's happened again!  I imported photos from memory cards to an external hard drive, where I keep my catalog.  The photos display in All Media, and the location is the folder on the external drive.  When I right-click and select Go To Folder, the catalog folder opens, but only about 20% of the photos on the drive folder are visible.  This time I know there are no other copies of the photos in the catalog.  I tried to Import Media on that folder, but when the process completes, the message is that the files already exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You need to ensure that your images are not being imported to multiple sub-folders, like you might select Shot Date as subfolder name in Photo downloader dialog while importing from your memory card.

Please do the following to help me get you to the reason for this.

1. In Organizer, you would see Sort by dropdown at the top. Select Import batch from this dropdown.

2. The topmost batch would most likely be the pictures you are mentioning in your last post, if you have not done any more imports after that.

3. In left Folders panel, ensure that you are in Tree view. For that click on the small icon next to My Folders and select View as Tree

4. Now select one image in step 2, right click on it and select Go to Folder.

5. Attach the screenshot of the Left folders panel (expended enough for folder names to be visible) here.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you may have hit on the problem.  I definitely imported to a subfolder, not realizing it may cause this problem.  Was trying to organize a bit better than many, many shot date folders.  See screenshot below:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is your issue resolved now? Let me know if I can assist you further with any query.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Arshla, Sorry I was unable to respond during work week.  I am wondering the best way to now reorganize that part of my catalog.  Here are the steps I am considering:

1.  Create new folder directly to the drive, such as F:\\2018_Africa

2.  Find all photos currently in catalog that pertain to this folder and select them

3.  Use File - Copy/Move to move those photos to the new folder. 

Will this preserve any tagging and editing I may have done?  I really don't want to start over and re-import everything over again, unless absolutely necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes using Copy/Move to Removable Drive option or Move option under File menu in Organizer preserves your tagging and editing and you need not re-import.

Please remember to use Move command, instead of Copy/Move to removable Drive, in case you are moving files from one location to another and both locations lie on your local hard disk.

Please let me know if you face any issues.

Thanks

Arshla Jindal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to finally restore and reorganize my catalog, thank you for your help!  I now wish to create a full backup of the reorganized catalog.  Can I use the same external drive with the "old" backup without overwriting it?  I am worried that, if the backup process errors out or anything that I will lose the original backup.  I would then delete the original backup file once I have the new one all set in place. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes you can create another back up on same external drive, without overwriting the old back up. For this, create a new folder on your external drive, parallel to old back up location and use this location to save the back up.

Please ensure that your external drive has enough space before starting. See this article for more help: Back up or restore catalogs in Elements Organizer 15 and earlier versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines