• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 12 is hanging in OSX Yosemite.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using PSE12.1, the moment I start selecting pixels the program freezes and I have to select "Force Quit" from the OS X Dock.

I'm using PSE 12.1 and OS X 10.10.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. use your mouse instead of the trackpad until Apple/Adobe figure out how to release the update.

2. this suggestion for a plugin from Adobe:

Jeffrey Tranberry (Chief Customer Advocate) 4 days ago
We sincerely apologize for the problem customers are facing while using a trackpad with Photoshop Elements 11 & 12 on Mac OSX 10.10 (Yosemite).

As we mentioned previously, we have been working with Apple to resolve this problem as quickly as possible. We're hopeful this will get completely resolved in an upcoming update.

In the meanwhile, you have two options to work around this problem:

1. Use a mouse instead of the trackpad
2. Install a plug-in which should workaround the problem

Plug-in installation instructions:

1. Close Photoshop Elements
2. Download
this zip file to a location you can easily find (e.g. your desktop)
3. Unzip the file, WhiteWindowWorkaround.plugin, and move it to the Plug-In folder:

• For Elements 12 – //Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 12/Support Files/Plug-Ins/
• For Elements 11 - //Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 11/Support Files/Plug-Ins/

You can verify the plug-in is installed by launching the Photoshop Elements Editor and choosing Help > System Info... Scroll to the bottom of the text in the dialog and look for the plug-in name "WhiteWindowWorkaround.plugin".

Note: This plugin is a temporary workaround and should be used until this issue is addressed in Mac OSX 10.10 (Yosemite). Be prepared to remove this plugin once the issue is officially resolved by Apple.

If you are using a stylus in conjunction with a trackpad, you might see issues with your trackpad. Workaround in this particular case is to use mouse instead of the trackpad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this (found on Adobe web-site) - A walkthrough plug-in

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/pse-stops-responding-yosemite.html

It seems to be working for me tonight

Good luck, Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2014 Nov 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have some issues  since i updated to Yosemite also .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2014 Nov 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2014 Nov 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The White Window plugin does not entirely solve the PSE hanging issue. I am running a trial version of PSE13 and keyboard shortcuts will completely lock up. The shortcuts lock up occurs not only in PSE but throughout OS X: once PSE locks up it locks up shortcuts for all other OS X programs. The PSE lockup also prevents you from typing throughout OS X. PSE is taking control and not releasing something. No other OS X programs I have used cause this unusual keyboard lockup.

I found a discussion about full PS having the locked up keyboard problem: on an adobe forum, but I do not have recall which one. The solution seems to be to manual select (click) any tool on the tool bar to force a release. I have yet to try this "solution" to see if it solve the problem with PSE.

When I have experienced the lockup problem it occurs when using the paint brush, cloning, or healing tools: seemingly, any tool that uses touchpad dragging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSE 13 is an entirely different thing. The plugin is not meant for PSE 13 at all.

If you installed it, uninstall it unless you also have PSE 11 or 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The plugin was used for PSE12. I am using a trial version of PSE13 that does not have the plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had that issue at all with PSE 13 - I installed the plugin in PSE 12 and I still have 12 active (as well as 11 and 8). Once I installed the plugin for 12, 11 worked as well.  8 has always worked.   I am able to use shortcuts in 13 and no problems with shortcuts in any other software (so far) since I installed the plugin in 12 after installing Yosemite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue with keyboard lockup occurs at some point of using PSE13 and the tools plus touchpad. I have used PSE13 today for about 1/2 hour and the problem that has occurred several times a day for the past week has not reoccurred. When it does reoccur I plan to try the release method discussed on the full photoshop (PS) forums. That is much better than restarting the computer which is many PS user were doing (PS CS6, PS CC, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try updating to your MAC OS to 10.10.1 and let us know if the issue is seen fixed.

Thanks

Andaleeb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed OS X 10.10.1 and am using PSE13 full version rather than the trial. The keyboard lockup still occurs. It does not occur immediately when using a tool with the touchpad. It occurs at some point for some images, but not with every image worked on.

The Alt key, arrow keys, still work during a lockup. I could even use command-tab to switch between open apps on my laptop. What I could not do in PSE, or in any other OS X program, was use command plus any letter, or +, or -. I typically use the PSE shortcut keys to switch tools, and to zoom in and out. Command-s (save), command-w (close), command-q (quit): none of these worked for any OS X app. Switching to another tool to force a release--as was suggest in a full Photoshop forum--did not fix the problem.

I experienced one other odd problem. While working in a different app, and having an image opened in PSE, I would get an error notice from PSE stating something similar to, "the command cannot be completed using the ____ tool" (cloning, healing, depending on which tool was in use in PSE).  PSE seemed to retain focus of the keyboard and/or touchpad while it is not the program with focus. I experienced this problem with PSE12 (full version) and also PSE13 (trial version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after the OS X update, I no longer had problems with PSE 11, 12 or 13

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i found a plugin that worked around the issues i was having , and i already had the 10.10.1 update when i noticed the issues . thank you for your response .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i found a plugin from adobe that works around the issues . thank you for your responses .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines