• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 15: Tags do not write to metadata in their entirety, why would that be?

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been writing tags to metadata and looked at properties of files in File Explorer and some tags write onto the metadata of a file, and some do not.  I have optimized and repaired the catalog, and that did not help, either.

I am not seeing any pattern as to which keywords write to the metadata, and which do not. I might have two people tagged on a photo and one is written to the metadata and the second is not. It could be a person and not the event. It is not particular tags that do not transfer. I have removed the metadata and tried again on a number of files, and am getting the same result.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MrsMRS
Thanks for posting on Adobe forums.

Once you are done with Adding metadata, Please select the files , Go to File & select Save metadata to files. It should save the metadata to files & you should be able to see it under File explorer as well. Please let us know if it works.

Regards
Neeraj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I did not make myself clear. I thought I gave enough detail, but obviously did not.

I have selected the files, and chose Save metadata to files. It is only saving some of the tags, as in might have 4 tags and only saves 2 to the file. Not any particular tags that it is not saving.

Martha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MrsMRS5101  wrote

Not any particular tags that it is not saving.

Martha

Not even 'People' tags? I don't use face recognition at all and I can't believe Elements can ignore normal tags you have assigned to an image file. I understand the issue appears randomly and that it's difficult to show it.

So, I would rather start with examples of files where you have written a set of tags to file and where you have found some are missing.

Just to be sure, select the file and write the tag again.

Then, use the organizer or the editor to show the IPTC fields (ask if you need more details).

Show a screenshot of your tags from the organizer Information panel and another one of the IPTC panel in organizer or editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote about this same problem a couple months ago here: Some tags not saving with "Save metadata to file"  No response.

I believe that the video I linked to (2017-03-14_1042 ) will show Michel the information he was asking for. In the batch I'm currently working with, I'd say at least half had tags that did not get saved. I have mostly noticed this with people tags. Whether it only happens with tags applied via facial recognition is an interesting question... I'm not sure. I'll do a bit more testing and report back, when I get a chance.

Regardless, this is an absolutely, mind-bogglingly egregious bug. Even if it only applies to facial recognition, that feature is the whole reason we're using PSE in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mwgoddard  wrote

I wrote about this same problem a couple months ago here: Some tags not saving with "Save metadata to file"   No response.

I believe that the video I linked to (2017-03-14_1042 ) will show Michel the information he was asking for. In the batch I'm currently working with, I'd say at least half had tags that did not get saved. I have mostly noticed this with people tags. Whether it only happens with tags applied via facial recognition is an interesting question... I'm not sure. I'll do a bit more testing and report back, when I get a chance.

Regardless, this is an absolutely, mind-bogglingly egregious bug. Even if it only applies to facial recognition, that feature is the whole reason we're using PSE in the first place.

No luck here...

- I can't see your video (Adobe Flash Player needed, removed from most recent browsers like my Firefox...)

- I don't use face recognition (never will !!!)

- You mentionned network catalog sharing, which is something I don't understand.

I probably read your first post, and did not think I could be of any help.

I am quite sure that if you use standard keywords in a custom category for people like me, you never miss to write them to files. I don't know how face recognition and tagging is implemented in the catalog, but I do agree that people tags should be written to files like the other keyword categories.

For testing, keep the Information folder open on the right panel and keep the File Properties / IPTC details showing. When you select each individual file, its keywords are shown. You can test if Ctrl W really writes a people tag into the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michel, I appreciate your thoughts. They inspired me to go back and dig deeper, and I think I have the answer, at least to what I'm seeing, described in detail here: Some tags not saving with "Save metadata to file" 

Not sure if this is the same thing as the OP here, and I don't want to hijack the thread, but I will note that one thing that kept me from identifying the problem for so long is that people tags get saved correctly, whereas "face tags" apparently do not, and there's no good way in PSE to tell the difference.

Michel, turns out that you are very wise to steer clear of the facial recognition. What a poorly implemented feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read through the additional postings and the problems described are not the same. I think the issue I am having is the same as MrsMrs based on the information provided.

Over the years I have created both "Event" and "People" tags and I have written this data to the file and have never had an issues with it before, when I view the files, it shows me the tags that I have assigned to the photograph.  While working with some newly imported photos, I created a "People Tag" called "Extended Family" and I created 2 new event tags called "Family Reunion July" and "Family Reunion Sept"

Of the 119 files, all of them have been applied the people tag -"Extended Family" and 1/2 of those pictures have the event tag, "Family Reunion July" and the other half with the event tag of "Family Reunion Sept".  I highlighted these photos and chose write metadata to file, when I viewed in Windows Explorer, all of them had the people tag, 4 of them had the event tag "Family Reunion Sept" and 6 of them had "Family Reunion July". 

When I looked at other directories using explorer, photos that had been tagged in previous version wrote all of the tags to the file (I rarely have more than 2 or 3 tags on a given photo) but after upgrading, the files that I have been working with aren't consistent, sometimes tags are written, sometimes they are not.  I have repaired and optimized the catalogue, I have made sure there weren't any disconnected files, I have tried selecting all of my photos (not just that batch) to write the data to the metafiles and for the life of me, cannot tags to write the tags with any consistency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops, I was wrong. Sorry for the confusion. Turns out "face tags" do (normally) get exported as normal tags, I was just confused by (a) the inconsistent results I've been seeing, and (b) a misleading response from Adobe staff elsewhere on the forum. Red herring central.

To give a bit more background, the problem is that some tags don't get written to some files, but there's no consistency about which tags don't get written to which photos. That is, the tag Bob Dole might get written to photo A but not Photo B, whereas the tag Newt Gingrich will get written to Photo B but not Photo A. But the crazy thing, to me, is that after using exiftool to completely wipe existing metadata, the same tags would not write to the same files.

So, it seems like there are at least three of us with the same problem. In the absence of any help from Adobe, perhaps we can figure out what we have in common, since it doesn't sound like this bug is universal. Here's what I'm working with:

File types: TIFF

Catalog lives on a shared network drive, accessed by three different workstations.

ESET Endpoint Security antivirus

The rest is from Help / System Info:

Elements Organizer 15.0.0.0

Core Version: 15.0 (20160905.m.97630)

Language Version: 15.0 (20160905.m.97630)

Current Catalog:

Catalog Name: Shared PE Catalog - faculty photos

Catalog Location: Y:\Archive\Faculty Photo Project\Shared PE Catalog - faculty photos\

Catalog Size: 17.6MB

Catalog Cache Size: 76.4MB

System:

Operating System Name: Windows 7

Operating System Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:5 Stepping:1 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2

Built-in Memory: 7.9GB

Free Memory: 2.7GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here's a screenshot showing an example. This is after adding the tags in Elements Organizer and saving metadata to file. As you can see, only three of the five tags were written. One of the people tags were written, and two were not. And no, the people tags are not "face tags" - there's no coordinate data.

ElementsBug.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot is a perfect illustration of the problem.

What happens when you:

- select the three tags shown in the IPTC panel, delete and save the IPTC.

- close the IPTC panel and open it again.

Does the tags disappear completely?

If you press Ctrl W now, and reopen the IPTC panel, do you get the same result, only 3 tags shown?

The person tags are shown in alphabetical order.

What would happen if you edited temporarily the persons names by adding a leading 'A' or 'Z' letter?

Would that change the persons tags displayed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Michel.

What happens when you:

- select the three tags shown in the IPTC panel, delete and save the IPTC.

- close the IPTC panel and open it again.

Does the tags disappear completely?

If you press Ctrl W now, and reopen the IPTC panel, do you get the same result, only 3 tags shown?

Yes, same result. Only three tags shown - the same three as before.

The person tags are shown in alphabetical order.

What would happen if you edited temporarily the persons names by adding a leading 'A' or 'Z' letter?

Would that change the persons tags displayed?

Interesting idea. I prepended an A to Douglas's name, changing his place in the sort order, but he still wasn't added to the IPTC fields. Only Donna was, as before.

I just went through a full exiftool dump of all metadata fields in a batch of photos, to see if I could find some pattern that would divide the photos that do accept all tags from those don't. Nope, seems utterly random.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue as well, I have been using PSE for a very long time and it appears that the issue started with version 15. I have added a couple of hundred of pictures into PSE 15, titled, wrote captions and tagged them and when I select them and choose write metadata to files, about a third of them will show the tags in explorer or when I look at the properties of the file.  It seems to be random and I don't see any patterns as to why it saves to some files and not others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some more testing on this issue this evening. I am looking at a directory of 20 files.  All of these files have been tagged with the same tag - an event type called "Family Reunion".   Each of these pictures have a caption and each of these pictures have notes.  When I look at the director within explorer, I can see that 4 of them have that event tag associated with it. The 4 that have that event tag associated with it also have the caption and notes included in the metadata.  I have tried selecting all 20 files and choosing save metadata to the files and it does nothing.   I tried selecting one file to save the metadata.  No Luck  I went and tried a different set of photos and had the exact same experience.   It would appear to me, that I cannot get this function to work at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did some testing - people tags were being written to the metadata, but none of the events or locations are being saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My information is below - I am one different OS, with my catalog and photos stored on a local hard drive and different AV Software. We are on the same version of PSE

Elements Organizer 15.0.0.0

Core Version: 15.0 (20160905.m.97630)

Language Version: 15.0 (20160905.m.97630)

Current Catalog:

Catalog Name: My Catalog 10

Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My Catalog 10\

Catalog Size: 311.5MB

Catalog Cache Size: 2.5GB

System:

Operating System Name: Windows 10

Operating System Version: 10.0

System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:14 Stepping:3 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2

Built-in Memory: 23.9GB

Free Memory: 19.2GB

Here is a print screen of the example as with the other example, the event tag is not written, the people tag is.

But here is another file in the same directory where it did write the Event Tag into the metadata

I have tried deleting "Family Reunion 1980 and recreating", I have tried creating a new tag and adding to all of the files and no matter what I do I cannot get the tags to write consistently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any resolution here, I've been having the same problem? I also made certain all my files were not Read Only" before running "Save Metadata to File" but that did not make a difference, some tags applied in PSE15 just do not get written to their files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a proplem in every version of windows as far back as I can remember.  Microsoft refuses to acknowledge the problem. If you will edit your Metadata by right clicking on a photos or group of selected photos go to details and type, then save woul will see that data randomly is saved.  The only way to save is to repeatedly open a photo and save the Metadata.  Verify thT it saved.  Larger photos over 100m are more problematic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines