• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 2 Patches For Opening PCD files

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to make some prints from Kodak Picture CD. After some online search, I learned that older PSE can open and convert an image file with PCD format. With Photoshop Elements 2, which I purchased a long time ago, I can browse image files as thumbnails on Kodak Picture CD. But the app freezes after I try to open such a file. Is any batches that fix the issue? I know it is an old version of PSE. I also have PSE 10 and I can't find PCD as a format it can handle.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no patches for Elements 2.  You may want to take a look at this link which supposedly converts .pcd files to jpegs online.  I know nothing about the website, so use it at your peril.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. PrintiQue advises submitting an image file in TIFF over JPG.  I have tried the conventio.co. It is convenient to use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IrfanView can open, edit, and convert multiple file formats, including Kodak’s Photo CD.

https://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't figure out how to install Irfanview as a plugin for Photoshop Elements. After installing it as an app, I find that the file size, 768 x 512 Pixels (3:2), is much smaller than what it shall be, 3072x2048 pixels. IrfanView likely opens the image index files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vernon,

In Infraview you need to go to Options>Properties/Settings>JPG/PCD/GIF and set the Photo CD Loading size

To get the two largest sizes you need to install the optional plugins.

https://www.irfanview.com/

Screenshot-(1066).png

PCD file from the Kodak sample Photo_CD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the info. I get the largest size. So, my workflow for the task is the following:

1. Open a PCD file in Irfanview and save it as a TIF file. (I thought the raw format should be better. But Lightroom 5 doesn't take it)
  2. Make any adjustments such as color in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RAW format is not the same as Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pu2788,

What version of windows are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10. BTW, I had made prints with sizes up to 12"x18", of the Kodak Picture CD many years ago. I can't remember how I converted the PCD files to JPG at the time. A file 768 x 512 Pixels size shall not be enough for a 12"x18" print. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you try to open a PCD file with pse 2 and it "freezes" does hitting the Enter key open the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSE 2 is too old. I won't bother to try anything as Irfanview works for me right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also see if copying the PCD image files to your computer makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pse 2 opens PCD files here on Windows 10 x64 22H2

Screenshot-(1068).jpg

PCD file from the Kodak sample Photo_CD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I gave it another try and opened a PCD file after hitting the return key. The size is 96x64 pixels though. How do you get the larger size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the ChatGPT's response for my question "how to open a high resolution PCD file in Photoshop Elements 2.0?".

"Photoshop Elements 2.0 may not be able to handle high resolution PCD files due to its age and limitations. If you are trying to open a high resolution PCD file in Photoshop Elements 2.0, you may experience issues with the program crashing or not being able to open the file at all.

One way to open high resolution PCD files in Photoshop Elements 2.0 is to use a free PCD viewer or converter program, such as IrfanView, to open the PCD file and then save it in a lower resolution, such as TIFF or JPEG. Once the file is saved in a lower resolution, you can open it in Photoshop Elements 2.0 using the "Open" command under the "File" menu.

If you need to work with high resolution images, it would be better to use a more recent software with better support for image formats and better performance, such as Adobe Photoshop or GIMP."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who is ChatGPT?

Recent versions of photoshop and gimp won't open pcd files directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is what it answers your question.

"ChatGPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) is a chatbot launched by OpenAI in November 2022. [1]. It is built on top of OpenAIs GPT-3 family of large language models, and is fine-tuned (an approach to transfer learning) with both supervised and reinforcement learning techniques. ChatGPT was launched as a prototype on November 30, 2022, and quickly garnered attention for its detailed responses. [1], [3]. It is also considered as a threat to Google's profitability near term according to Morgan Stanley. [2]"

And it already steps in the photo editing field.

I also find the answer to "how to open a high resolution PCD file in Photoshop Elements 2.0?" isn't correct. I installed GIMP on Linux and it won't open any PCD files unless with an extension/plugin.

BTW, how do you open a PCD with a high pixel count in PES 2.0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines