• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 2020 Organizer crashes

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying before I buy, so am new to Elements.  I started by Importing by Bulk a large number of images, and Organizer crashed. No warning, no message, no Organizer.

I then Imported by Folders, a few folders at a time, which worked well until it crashed again, with only a few images being imported. It seems it was crashing on a specific image, as I imported all images before this one, and all after it successfully. However, as far as I can see the image in question is a very normal jpg, similar to the others.  

Again there is no error message, the Organizer program just closes.

Can you please advise how I might address this problem?

Ray
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using?

What is the source of this file? If it comes from a smartphone via an app like Whatsapp, the file may be one that is incompatible with Elements. Depending on your OS, we may be able to offer a suggestion as to how you can save it in a compatible format.

You can also attach the file to a post here by clicking on the paperclip icon below the text entry box.  We can then try to figure out the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.

I am using up to date Windows 10 with 32GB on memory.

I now don't think it's a particular file, it seems to be the number of files I upload. So when I upload just the image that seemed to be causing the problem, on its own, it worked fine.  I then imported a few hundred more images successfully. Then the next batch failed. This was 18 folders containing 788 images.  The system just froze after importing 281 of the images.  However, when I restart Organizer, none of that batch were uploaded.

Maybe there's a limit to how many can be uploaded. 

Ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no limit on the number of files that can be imported in a batch.

Try turning off all auto-analysis in Edit>Preferences>Media Analysis.  Once you have started importing files into the catalog, the auto-analysis kicks in and can become a drag on performance for almost anything else.  Once you have completed the import, you can turn the auto-analysis back on.  If that doesn't make a difference, please let us know the specs on your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have turned off Media Analysis as you suggest.  However, it made no difference.  The batch of images that I'm trying to Import from Files and Folders is 788 images in 18 folders.  It stops after 281 images imported.  Sometimes it stops by just closing, other times it freezes.  It always stops at the same point on the same image.  This is what cauased me to think there was a bad file.  If I import some of the folders up to the one with that image it works OK. When I try to just import the image where it previously stopped, that causes Organizer to revert to start up position, but not close or freeze.  However, it does not import the image.  So it seems it's a problem with this image. The image seems no different to any of the other images - all jpg about 1MB (attached).  The image opens in Photoshop Elements 2020 and if I then save that as a copy, the copy loads successfully into Organizer(also attached). The origianl image also opens Bridge, Photoshop as well as MS Photos, and my other photo apps. So it would appear to be OK, just that Organizer doesn't like it for some reason. There have been other images that have also caused this problem.

FYI my computer is Windows 10 Pro v 1909 64bit,  Intel i7-4790, 32GB RAM

IM000673 copy.jpgIM000673.JPG

Ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to earlier post, I am now having another problem that may be related.  When uploading images using Import Files and Folders, I received the message that some images were not loaded, the reason being "The file already exists in the catalog". However when I examine that folder in Organizer, those files are not there.   Is there a limit on the length of file titles?  If so, maybe it believes the files are there because the image number has not been included in the usable file title (ie those characters were beyond the file title length).  I've tried to Google whether there's an issue here, but not found anything. My path length are nowhere near MS limit of 260 characters though - probably less than 100.

Ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing has happened to me 2 times. My Laptop is an i9, 32GB RAM, 2080 Super GPU. All of my photos and videos are stored on an M.2 1TB drive. Adobe Organizer just does not open... I've believe that tried all the help forums... I ultimately uninstall the program and re-install it... For the third time it just happened again! I do NOT recommend this product. FRUSTRATING!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wild ideas #1, & #2, 

In the past, such issues, with simliar programs  have been attributed to "Special characters" in the file name.  There have also been instances, few and far between,  involving wheter or not the file name was in all caps or not. 

< > : " / \ | ? * 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yeah, this is a total waste of my time.  Trying to import about 30k photos/videos from my NAS, it crashes every single time.

No, I don't want to troubleshoot.  If this app cant import, I'm out.

*drops Elements*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines