• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 2021 19.0 losing caption edits

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I update a Caption in Organiser then Edit the photo when I return from the edit the Caption has reverted back to the original text.

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @KenB82C 

Thanks for reaching out to us.

I tried the scenario you mentioned above with following steps in Orgnaizer and could not reproduce the issue. Please point out if you are doing any of these steps differently, to help us reproduce it at our end:

1. Select a photo in Organizer with caption.

2. Right click and select 'add caption'. Edit the caption in the dialog. Click OK.

3. With this photo selected, click on Instant fix at bottom panel.

4. In Edit workspace, click Smart fix from right panel.

5. Save this photo and click Done.

In Media room, a version set of this photo will be created, check its caption in right panel-> It is the edited caption.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arshla, thanks for your response. It works fine for Instant Fix.

However the sequence I have problem with is:

1. Select photo in Organizer
  2. Update caption and press ENTER
  3. Click on Editor
  4. Edit in Expert mode
  5. Save as same name jpg
  6. Back in Organizer the caption has reverted to original text

Organizer Core Version: 19.0 (20210126.m.155261)

Adobe Photoshop Elements Version: 19.0 (20210304.m.156367)

I have tried Repair in Manage Catalog, which runs without error. I have also successfully run Optimise.

Thanks

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arshla, thanks for your response. It works fine for Instant Fix.

However the sequence I have problem with is:

1. Select photo in Organizer
  2. Update caption and press ENTER
  3. Click on Editor
  4. Edit in Expert mode
  5. Save as same name jpg
  6. Back in Organizer the caption has reverted to original text

Ken

By @KenB82C

To be precise, in the 4th step, you edit the image, not the caption via the File >> Info dialog in the IPTC panel?

If you don't use the option to 'write metadata to files' after editing the caption in step 2, the catalog is updated for the caption and the keywords, the files themselves are updated in the different sections of the metadata in the file header, especially the IPTC section for the captions, not for the keywords. In the editor, you can change the caption and keywords in the IPTC panel, but that does not update the catalog. The information panel in the organizer reads the contents of the file itself and that's what you have updated in the editor directly. The catalog itself is not updated and shows the previous captions and keywords. That's would explain why the catalog shows the previous caption text in the 6th step.

In the 5th step, you overwrite the original file, that's your choice, personnally I prefer keeping version sets until I am sure I won't need the original, in which case I can flatten the version set. My advice would be to control your edits by using the 'write metadata to files - Ctrl W' shortcut and by not overwriting your originals. Editing the metadata from the File > Info of the editor should be avoided unless you don't want to use the organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your explanation. It is not someything I was aware of and didn't seem to be the case in previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's not new, but there is a lack of documentation about what the organizer can do with the catalogs vs what it can do with writing the metadata to files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines