• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 2022 won't install Mac Monterey

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got my 2019 iMac working, and upgraded it to Monterey. I bought Photoshop Elements 2022, and Premiere Elements 2022, and downloaded them from Adobe. 

Photoshop Elements won’t install. It hangs up saying “Installing (7%)” and “10-12 MINUTES LEFT.” It’s been this way for over an hour. This is the second time I’ve tried installing PE2022, with the exact same results. 

After this, I installed Premiere Elements 2022, and the install worked. I’m not familiar with Premiere, but it seems to work.

Any thoughts or ideas how to make Photoshop Elements 2022 work with Monterey yet? I’ve read about the problems and hope Adobe will get this fixed sooner rather than later. Maybe this info will help.

TOPICS
Download and install , Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Mentor , Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Wait until Adobe issues an update- there is no word, all you can do is wait. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Updated to Monterey 12.1 and now everything works. Photoshop Elements installed, and works. Premier Elements continues to work. No reboot necessary.

Thank you Apple and Adobe. I'm glad I'm a hobbiest now, and didn't need these for work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait until Adobe issues an update- there is no word, all you can do is wait. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's what I figured. Hopefully this helps motivate them. I appreciate the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it's December 10th 2021........no solution yet for the incompatible PSE 2021 / 2022 and OS Monterey, shame on Apple and Adobe.......users are not able to work! This can't be tolerated......or is it politics to get users to Adobe Creative cloud? And does Adobe Creative cloud has the same issues with OS Monterey?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and tried to install 15 but it wouldn't allow that either. Will you post if you find out more information about Monterey and Elements 2021?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be a beter thread to follow. It seems that most attention is there.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements-discussions/adobe-photoshop-elements-22-doesn-t-wo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO Apple is not to blame for this. OS updates break older apps all the time (most famously when Apple stopped supporting 32-bit apps--we were warned that was going to happen). Monterey is the minimum OS on a new MacBook Pro (which is a dazzlingly wonerful laptop BTW). The Monterey installer contains code for both Intel and Apple Silicon. I assume that the designers of the OS would want both vesions to compile from the same source code (it's a flavor of unix; so, persumably the source is C or C++). Hence, some of the "new components" in Monterey exist to align the underlying code and moving the Intel only code to an extension of the Intel compile and Roseeta 2 in the M1 compile. I have a BUNCH of Intel apps that execute just fine on my M1 MacBook Pro. I chose to upgrade Microsoft Office because the latest version runs natively on Apple silicon, but Office 16 works fine under Rosetta 2.

PSE 2021 or 2022 does something on startup that is inconsistent with Apple's requirements for app developers. It apparently doesn't create a problem in OS 10 or 11, but Monterey is a different story. Adobe is a major developer. Hence, Adobe had early developer copies of Monterey months ago and had to have been aware of the PSE bug well befoe releasing version 2022. It's bad enough that they began selling an app that they knew would not work properly when the soon to arrive OS update occurred. However, it's appaling that they label a program 2022 that contains only Intel code. They've know for more than a year that ANY 2022 Mac would be based an M1 processor. Intel only apps, properly compiled, will execute fine on an M1 Mac, BUT Rosetta will be discontinued in a year or two (remember the conversion from 32-bit to 64-bit apps?) and users will be forced into another PSE purchase. PSE 2022 is NOT legitimately 2022 software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why you continue to copy and paste your other posts to this thread, but your issue (M1 processor) has nothing to do with my question (intel processor). Your comments and suggestions are better addressed in the other thread, as you have done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw a post this morning that says that PSE 2022 (presumably also 2021) won't start up at all with Monterey 12.1. I have received a refund and no longer have any version of PSE installed. I'd appreciate it if someone with an M1 Mac can confirm that PSE 2022 won't startup at all in 12.1. My surmise all along is that something in PSE's startup routines does something to the working copy of the OS that 1) prevents future starups of the app if it is quit without a restart of the Mac, and 2) regardless of whethe PSE remains open or is quit, installs an error in Rosetta 2 on an M1 Mac that will subsequently lead to a spontaneous restart. If PSE 2022 will not execute at all on an M1 Mac with OS 12.1, that would mean that Apple has modified OS code and Rosetta code to prevent whatever PSE's startup was doint that it should not be doing (a single app should never be able to bring down the entire OS).

If my inference is correct, then Adobe now has a powerful clue pointing to exactly what the PSE startup bug is. Apparently, whatever PSE is trying to do at that point has some importance attached to it; so, Adobe may have to puzzle some to find an alternative way to do what they think must be done. Solving that riddle without sewing the seeds of some future disaster may take awhile--how long awhile is anyone's guess without more detail regarding what the software architects are up against.

Can someone with an M1 Mac and PSE 202 installed please report on what happens when PSE 2022 is launched with OS 12.1 installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why you continue to copy and paste your other posts to this thread, but your issue (M1 processor) has nothing to do with my question (intel processor). Your comments and suggestions are better addressed in the other thread, as you have done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copyied ONE post between threads. There is a connection between PSE 2022's inability to function properly on both Mac platforms because the bug corroupts the working copy of the OS in memory. On an Intel Mac the corruption apparently only affects PSE. If it runs at all, it runs only once per restart. On an M1 Mac it's still Intel code; so, it must use Rosetta 2 and the corruption it causes leads to an OS crash as Rosetta 2 is a hybid between an app and the OS. The fact that the bug occurs in the subset of the Intel OS that's contained in Rosetta 2 should help Adobe identify the cause of failure on both platforms. Indications are that OS 12.1 makes the PSE 2022 bug more of a problem because it no longer will execute even once per restart (true?).

Monterey just went from 12.01 to 12.1 instead of 12.02. If Apple remains consistent in its numbering convention, 12.1 is more than a security patch. One change may be to protect that sectdion of Intel code that ends up in Rosetta so that a single app can't force a restart of the OS, or at least can't force a restart the way PSE 2022 had been doing it. Were I a coder at Adobe trying to find and fix this glitch, I'd take a serious look at what 12.1 changed in the Rosetta 2 code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Indications are that OS 12.1 makes the PSE 2022 bug more of a problem because it no longer will execute even once per restart (true?)."

I have no idea, because my problem is that I can't install Photoshop Elements using Monterey 12.0.1. Not at all. PSE doesn't work because I can't install it on my 2019 iMac. I do find it interesting that Premier Elements does install, and seems to work fine (within my limited knowledge of Premier). Why one works and the other doesn't is beyond me. I mention it only because it may help Adobe figure their problem with PSE. Nor do I care why, I'm only interested in when PSE will work on my computer.

While your speculation of the deeper issues is interesting, I'm not a coder, nor do I understand the intricasies of the Mac OS, nor do I want to. That's one of the reasons I went with Apple in the first place, that it was much more user friendly than Windows. I had my fill  of them in the 1990's. I just want PSE to work. If Apple and Adobe can't fix it, fairly soon, I'll go another route. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at Acorn or Affinity for an image editor. I have never used Adobe for an ortganizer. I dislikes Apple's photo because it hides individual photograhs in one big Photos document. Instead I use Nikon's ViewNX-i app. It's free and one doesn't have to own a Nikon camera to use it. It doesn't deal with every possible image type, but it organizes jpg, gif, and Nikon raw images very well--enough for my needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to Monterey 12.1 and now everything works. Photoshop Elements installed, and works. Premier Elements continues to work. No reboot necessary.

Thank you Apple and Adobe. I'm glad I'm a hobbiest now, and didn't need these for work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 for those that missed the Title and original post. 😉

I don't have 2021, or anything that will work on a newer Intel Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my photoshop elements 2021still spins and then force quit. I have Monterey 12.1 and have uninstalled and reinstalled elements.  Do I need 2022 in order for it to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know. I have 2022, and with the update to 12.1, they play nice together.

They are talking about 2021 in the other thread. Seems you're not the only one having trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Hoot, how can I find out how to use Photoshop 2022.  My computer is new.  I have a Mac using Monterey.

No problem installion but I cannot figure out h ow to use the new tools and look everywehre for a good tutorial and find none really good enough or easy to understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Lucy, I can't help you there. I have Elements, which is very different from PS. There are lots of tutorials on the web, and here on the Adobe site. 

It's not an easy program to use. The learning curve is difficult, but once you learn it, it's an awesome program. I used it in the early 2000's, but don't need that level of ability any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I've been trying to do the most recent Adobe Photoshop Elements 20.0 update for several hours on Mac Monterey. After I click to do the update, things go OK until I get a screen telling me to "quit" conflicting apps. The first time, the conflicting app was "Adobe Task Manager." Subsequent times it was the Adobe Applications Manager app.

Each time I clicked on the Help button and was sent to a detailed set of instructions. Great!

But each time I clicked to open the Activity Monitor (as instructed) it froze, empty. Spinning ball...nothing displaying. FOUR TIMES. I had to force quit the Activity Monitor each time. I shut off PSE, checked the Activity Monitor each time, afterwards, and it was fine as long as I wasn't trying to do the update. Each time I tried to do the PSE update, the Activity Monitor froze. 

How am I supposed to use the Actvitiy Monitor to close "clonflicting apps" when every time I try to do the PSE update it freezes the Activity Monitor?

I've been using PSE since 2008, never had so many problems. I had to borrow money to pay for this version; now I can't update it! This latest one may be the end of the line for me and Adobe. 

Very disapppointed, but still hoping someone will have an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typo: "clonflicting apps" should read "conflicting apps."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify:

I can use PSE and the Activity Monitor runs OK.

It freezes only when I try to do an update.

Unfortunately, I can't find a way to convince it to stop trying to do the update. The update window won't go away until I click to do it upon exit. But then I have to let it start, get partway in - like before - and get stuck.

Then I can stop it. 

So...if I'm never going to be able to update this thing again can someone at least tell me how to stop it from trying? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this so others can get around a lot of the information here that won't work for them. It is what I sorted out on my own after having similar issues that hadn't been n issue before.  Best of luck everyone. 

Solution for Photoshop Elements 2022 installer err... - Adobe Support Community - 13255578

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines