• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 2023 asks to install Rosetta every time it's opened on an M1 Macbook

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Elements 2023 asks to install Rosetta every time it's opened on an M1 Macbook Pro running Monterey 12.6.1, and won't open if you don't install it.  I've spent hours in chat with Adobe tech and downloaded PSE 2023 from their link, but each time Premiere or Photoshop Elements 2023 tries to open, it asks to install Rosetta.  You can choose "Not Now" or "Install."  Premiere Elements 2023 and Photoshop Elements 2023 opened once even when I chose "Not Now;" the Organizer never opened.  Now Premiere and Photoshop Elements will NOT open if you choose "Not Now."  I'm afraid to load my other software, that are plugins in to Photoshop Elements, beause they run on M1, as should PSE 2023, and I don't want them mistakenly running on Rosetta and defeating the purpose of upgrading to M1.  Adobe tech support hasn't been able to find a fix, has anyone else?

TOPICS
Bug , Download and install , Mac , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2023/Support Files

right click on the

Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor.app

then click Get Info

under General>Application does it say Intel or Apple silicon?

pse.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple Silicon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you start the photoshop elements editor by double clicking on the

Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor.app

in

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2023/Support Files

do you still get the Install Rosetta message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  It wants to install Rosetta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I visited an app developer friend over the weekend and he said, although Adobe claims PSE 2023 will work with apple silicon, that just means it will work.  That doesn't mean it works with it natively.  He said that's misinformation from Adobe.  He also said, go ahead and install Rosetta.  It will still work faster than my intel mac, even though it's using Rosetta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. That's very strange because in my experience, Rosetta will stay installed forever once it is installed. So you should never be asked more than once. Or are you removing Rosetta somehow?

2. Much software needs Rosetta to install, even if the app itself can run in M1 native. 

I am rather puzzled by what the message says "Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements". Surely these are separate apps. It sounds more as if you are running an installer. What do you click/double click to get this message? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It asked to install because it had never been installed.  It is a new MacBook.  However, before I installed Rosetta, I tried one more time to get help from tech support and I finally found someone who installed the app again from a different download and this time it opened without asking for Rosetta.  They also got my DxO/Nik software to add as a plug-in, which PSE 2023 still won't add on my intel iMac, but I have a good clue for my next tech support chat for that open case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EdwardZ0Z: I am having the same issue (12/19/22) Do you have any suggestions where to download the app or with whom I should speak? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the exact same behavior. I do not want to install rosetta on my mac ... surely there should be a workaround? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The majority of workflow functions in PSE 2023 and PRE 2023 run natively on the M1 Mac. Some third party functions require emulation from Rosetta 2. The software runs really fast on my MB Pro Laptop so don’t be put off installing Rosetta. You can install one-time when prompted or install via terminal with a simple command prompt. 

See my YouTube video for an overview of Elements 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of 1/5, the following statement is still found at https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/whats-new.html

Apple silicon Native Support

Photoshop Elements now runs natively on Apple computers with the Apple silicon M1 or newer. Experience faster performance while using Photoshop Elements on the latest generation of Apple computers.

My understanding is that “natively” means without Rosetta. The purpose of Rosetta is to allow running apps built under older architecture on the new Apple Si. chips. Claiming that PSE 2023 runs natively on Apple Si. seems like false advertising at worst & misleading at best. If I must install Rosetta on my M1 to use PSE 2023, I may as well continue running my earlier version without Rosetta on my older machine & skip the upgrade. I do not WANT to install Rosetta on my M1.

It seems to me that if “…some third party functions require emulation from Rosetta 2,” Adobe should not be claiming that it runs natively – compatible yes, native no. Adobe should know better. I will patiently wait for my refund & check around in a few months to see if it is worth upgrading at that time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree. Native means native.. However, I also get prompted to install Rosetta.. Therefore, I just switched to a competitor app and I am not looking back.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to repeat that, finally, there was an Adobe tech support person that stuck with it for a while and when the first new download from a different link yielded the same results, he found another link that I downloaded from and I was then able to open it on my M1 macbook pro without Photoshop Elements 23 asking me to install Rosetta.  He also helped me get my Nik plug ins to work with PSE 23, also without having to install Rosetta.  My Nik (Pro 5) products sometimes are and sometimes aren't present as plug-ins on my PSE 23 that's running on my 2019 intel 6-Core i5 iMac on Big Sur.  So, mostly good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the link to download the native version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to be so late responding, I'm just now seeing this.  The Adobe tech posted it in the chat we had going, and I didn't keep track of that link.  I just upgraded to PSE 2024, and now the Nik Selective Tool is missing again, and the Nik plug-ins aren't showing up under Filter.  At the time I was just following along with what the tech was writing when it got fixed, was super happy it worked, but didn't take notes.  Now I know better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just found this solution to the missing Nik Selective Tool and filers that worked for me:

Sameer K Adobe Employee , Nov 09, 2022

Welcome to the Photoshop Community. I'll try to help you with this.

Newer versions of Nik filters might have a different installation method. Try this:

• Go to Finder > Applications > Adobe Photoshop 2022 > Plug-ins Folder > Copy the items in this folder.
  • Go to the Plug-ins folder for Adobe Photoshop 2023 folder & paste the items here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines