• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements on PC with OneDrive backup in place

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Windows 11.  I also use OneDrive and have the backup turned on for my pictures folder.  I keep a copy of the photos, 78gig, on my PC by choosing the "Always keep on device" option in OneDrive.

Will Adobe Photoshop Elements Organizer work with this setup?  I would assume it just sees it as the Pictures folder and uses the files in it?

I use the OneDrive photo upload feature on my iPhone as well, which uploades photos to the cloud and back down to the PC.

Thanks for any advice!

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Storing your photos in OneDrive in Elements means that you are using a special folder on your computer and that the provider does insure that this folder is reguarly 'synced' to the Cloud. Same situation as Dropbox, Google etc. So you are right, you can store and manage your photo library there or a part of it.

Those 'Cloud' solutions have big advantages in ease of use, sharing ability and backup safety. I do use both OneDrive and Dropbox to share a part of my photos or documents. My wife has chosen to sync her smartphone photos in Google Photos. I no longer need to transfer our smartphone photos directly with a cable from the phone.

This is ideal if you don't have a very important library to share with the Cloud or if you are happy to share only a selection.

However, the limitations in sharing and backup safety are depending on the way you manage catalogs and catalog folders.

By default, the catalog folder is not located within the OneDrive folder. It is neither shared nor backed up.

If you move it within the OneDrive folder, it's backed up, but not shared. You can retrieve it from another computer but it will always show links with the original computer. In the event of a crash or disparition of the original computer, you'll retrieve all your photos from the Cloud and possibly the catalog folder, but all files will appear as 'disconnected'.

In other words, easy to share and backup the files and file structure, but not the catalogs.

My advice is to leave your catalog folder outside of the Onedrive folder (for efficiency) and to store a copy periodically in OneDrive if you want.

The last word is that if you want full safety, you should ALSO use the organizer backup function periodically. That will insure an easier way to restore a big library or to move it to another computer or drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply!

When I do share, I create a new folder, outside of the pictures folder and copy over what I want to share.  Example holiday photos from Xmas dinner, serveral family members wanted the photos.  I created a new photo and copied the 20 or so photos to it and sent them a link from the new OneDrive shared folder.  After a week or so I just get rid of that folder and the copy of the pictures.

Another question if I may? 

I use the OneDrive app on my iPhone to upload photos to the cloud.  On my PC it downloads them into the Pictures\Camera Roll\2022\1 folder (right now) because I have the "Always Keep on Device" flag set.

I would like to use the Photoshop Elements Orgnaizer to mange my photos.  Will the Orginizer pickup the newly synced photos using the OneDrive app?  Or do I have to run some manual operation to find them?  

Real world example would be I take a photo on my iPhone, the OneDrive app uploads it to the cloud.  I turn on my desktop PC and it syncs down to the Pictures folder.  I then open up the Organizer app....what happens??

Thanks for any input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another question if I may? 

I use the OneDrive app on my iPhone to upload photos to the cloud.  On my PC it downloads them into the Pictures\Camera Roll\2022\1 folder (right now) because I have the "Always Keep on Device" flag set.

I would like to use the Photoshop Elements Orgnaizer to mange my photos.  Will the Orginizer pickup the newly synced photos using the OneDrive app?  Or do I have to run some manual operation to find them?  

Real world example would be I take a photo on my iPhone, the OneDrive app uploads it to the cloud.  I turn on my desktop PC and it syncs down to the Pictures folder.  I then open up the Organizer app....what happens??

Thanks for any input!

By @Chris22853298zhyx

Once the files are synced, either you run an import from files and folders selecting your above folder or you use the watched folder feature to detect the new files and prompt you to import them.

- If you decide to import yourself when you want, the files already registered in the catalog are skipped and only the new ones are imported.

- Or if you decide to set up the watched folder (menu File > watched folders..., the scan will take place automatically in the background and you will be prompted to import if you have not set an automatic import.

In my own case, I have chosen to store my main library on an external drive. So, I can copy the files from the Cloud to the external drive before importing them or I can import them from the Dropbox or the Google Photos folders and move them from within the organizer to the external drive.

That should work the same for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you move it within the OneDrive folder, it's backed up, but not shared. You can retrieve it from another computer but it will always show links with the original computer. In the event of a crash or disparition of the original computer, you'll retrieve all your photos from the Cloud and possibly the catalog folder, but all files will appear as 'disconnected'.

In other words, easy to share and backup the files and file structure, but not the catalogs.

My advice is to leave your catalog folder outside of the Onedrive folder (for efficiency) and to store a copy periodically in OneDrive if you want.

The last word is that if you want full safety, you should ALSO use the organizer backup function periodically. That will insure an easier way to restore a big library or to move it to another computer or drive.

Micheal, thank you for the directions. I do have a question for clarity. If my catalog(s) and photos are within a OneDrive folder on my PC. In the event I need to restore/rebuild the PC (Or migrate to a new PC), If I recreate the same directory structure (i.e. D:\OneDrive\Adobe\...) will the photos still appear as "disconnected".

Regards, RobC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pardon, Je voulais dire "Michel", pas "Micheal".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Micheal, thank you for the directions. I do have a question for clarity. If my catalog(s) and photos are within a OneDrive folder on my PC. In the event I need to restore/rebuild the PC (Or migrate to a new PC), If I recreate the same directory structure (i.e. D:\OneDrive\Adobe\...) will the photos still appear as "disconnected".

Regards, RobC

By @Rob27849779y36k

Yes, unfortunately, the catalog database points to the original media files location which is identified by two combined  pieces: folders path hierarchy AND drive identification which includes drive letter, Windows drive name and the most important item, the internal drive number.

Volume_table-2.jpg

In the above view of the 'volume_table', you can see the 'serial' metadata.

So, the location stored in the original id (here 860976) does no longer correspond to an existing Windows path. All items are disconnected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris22853298zhyx said:

I would like to use the Photoshop Elements Orgnaizer to mange my photos. Will the Orginizer pickup the newly synced photos using the OneDrive app? Or do I have to run some manual operation to find them?

Real world example would be I take a photo on my iPhone, the OneDrive app uploads it to the cloud. I turn on my desktop PC and it syncs down to the Pictures folder. I then open up the Organizer app....what happens??

Is your OneDrive folder set as a Watched Folder?  If so, the files that are placed in your OneDrive folder will be picked up in the Organizer and imported to your catalog.  I believe that OneDrive folders are automatically set as Watched Folders, but I always delete them.  However, I just added my OneDrive folder to my watched folders list and it automatically imported a file I placed there to my catalog.

Snap_2022.01.27_12h14m12s_003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saw this communication and thought I would add that I created a simple little .bat file that I use to launch PSE.  When I exit it PSE, the bat file executes this line to copy my catalog files into my Dropbox folder.:  

XCOPY "C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\" C:\Users\Jim\Dropbox\Catalogs\ /m /e /y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quit using this program.  It is horribly slow, even on my 11700K, 64gig, 3TB of NVME, and 3070 video card. 

It would kill my CPU and eventually run out of RAM (error on screen) when using the orginzer to build a catalog of my 78gigs of photos and videos.  I tried everything I could find, like stop analyzing faces etc.  If you search on this kind of error it a big issue.

I went back to the Mac, and the built in Photos app for all my photos and videos.  I now use Affinity Photo to handle any photo editing behind the really good Photos app and iMovie for movie work.  My Windows PC is basically used for gaming now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quit using this program.  It is horribly slow, even on my 11700K, 64gig, 3TB of NVME, and 3070 video card. 

By @Chris22853298zhyx

Hi Chris, let's compare my personal experience about the speed of  the organizer.

I don't have a gaming monster like you:

Elements Organizer 21.0.0.0
Core Version: 21.0 (20220906.Git.master.4218aba)
Language Version: 21.0 (20220906.Git.master.4218aba)

Current Catalog:
Catalog Name: Cat_2023-2022-09-30 VVV
Catalog Location: V:\Cat_2023-2022-09-30 VVV\
Catalog Size: 538MB
Catalog Cache Size: 3,5GB

System:
Operating System Name: Windows 10
Operating System Version: 10.0
System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:12 Stepping:3 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2
Built-in Memory: 7,9GB
Free Memory: 1,9GB

It's not even good enough to upgrade to Windows 11. Only 8 GB RAM. No SSD for main drive.

However I am working on a medium sized catalog (> 770 GB, yes gigabytes and > 80 000 items) with lots of keywords, captions, albums etc.

The third factor when  discussing speed is the user's expectations. I find it normal that gaming users ask for a very responsive feel. Your post made me wonder if the PSE 2023 version is really faster than the previous one as advertised. As the organizer is extremely important for me, I just ran a few tests and I did not believe how fast the searches have become! Generally, less than one second. A test for a search combining two substrings of first names:  'élisand' + 'rthu' (Mélisande AND Arthur' showed the result in less than 2 seconds! That's 870 items out of 80.000.

(I don't use face recognition, only manual tagging for persons).

Side note about your original "Cloud" posts: with the size of my main catalog, I only 'sync' smaller extracts of catalogs for sharing for obvious speed reasons.

Edited, not 530 GB, 770 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines