• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements upgrade 2019 to 2021

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a copy of Photoshop Elements 2019 with 80,000+ photos. I have purchased and installed Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 2021 but the install has not picked up my 2019 events. It seems to have picked up faces that I have previously named. It also magically has found lots of new photos and wants to import them, which is strange as 2019 has not done this. What have I done wrong? Is there are correct procedure to follow to do this upgrade from 2019 to 2021?

TOPICS
Actions , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't told us what you have done, so we can't know what you may have done wrong. 

When you installed Elements 2021 and opened the Organizer, you should have received a message asking whether you want to convert your existing catalog.  Many users don't pay attention to that and consequently a new catalog is generated and the Bulk Importer automatically searches your computer for photos.  I suspect that is what has happened to you.

No problem. 

If you still have Elements 2019 installed, go to Help>System Info . . ..   That will open a dialog which will tell you where your current catalog is located.  If you have removed Elements 2019, search for a file named catalog.pse17db and note which folder it is in.  

Next, go to File>Manage Catalogs and click on the Convert button.  This will open a navigation dialog.  Select the location of your catalog and then select your catalog.  Finally, click the Convert button.  Your 2019 catalog will be renamed with a -1 suffix.  It will still open in Elements 2019.  A copy of the catalog will be converted to Elements 2021 and will contain all of the information available in your Elements 2019 catalog, including Events.

Let us know if I have misinterpreted what you may have done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg_A,

Many thanks. I did read your reply some days ago and tried what you have suggested.

In terms of what I have done, I can provide the following information. I have purchased and downloaded 2021 but the install did not use my current catalog or direct me to open it up. Therefore, I have posted as I did not know what to do.

I did as you outlined "...Next, go to File>Manage Catalogs and click on the Convert button. This will open a navigation dialog. Select the location of your catalog and then select your catalog. Finally, click the Convert button....". I did this and selected where my catalog is but the catalog is not listed in the dialog box for me to then convert. Because this occurred it means I cannot convert and use by 2019 database. I'm not sure how to proceed.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg_S,

Attached are some photos. The "My Catalog" was created by 2021. The "My Catalog 2" is my current catalog.

RegardsPhoto 1 - Location of 2019 file.JPG

Photo 2 - Manage catalog.JPG

Photo 3 - Select folder.JPG

Photo 4 - Catalog not listed.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm . . . . . something does not look right.

In your first photo, you are displaying the System Info screen from Elements 2019.  It shows the current catalog as Catalog 2.  If you open that catalog in Elements 2019, does it contain all of the information that you think should be present?

Strangely, the File Explorer view does not display the database file in that folder.  Can you search your computer for a file(s) called catalog.pse17db and show us where it/they are located.

How did Catalog 1 get created?  Please show us the contents of that folder.

In the meantime, try going to the Convert dialog (in Elements 2021) and check the Show Previously Converted Catalogs box.  Do any catalogs show up if you do?

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.19_15h16m02s_005_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg_S,

Yes, in Elements 2019, Catalog 2 has all the information it should contain.

Sorry, the screen shot was me selecting the folder when trying to convert but nothing happens. Yes, I can find catalog.pse17db when I look in File Explorer.

I have no idea how Catalog 1 was created. However Catalog was created by Elements 2021 (I know this because it is the name shown on the bottom right of the Elements Organiser screen).

I have previously open Elements Organiser 2021 but nothing was displayed in the Catalog list. However, I have just repeated this and Catalog 2 was displayed. So, I converted this and guess what, my data has now appeared (e.g. Events, Faces, and Places).

Thanks Greg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say thanks to Greg.  I just updated to PSE 2021 from 2019 and when confronted with the "convert" option I paniced thinking I would lose the db for PSE 2019.  Greg's answer cleared that up and I now realize everything with PSE 2019 will continue as is and I can revert back to using it if I am not happy with PSE 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon.  My conversion worked fine but the new Catalog.pse19db was installed in the default location on my C drive.

I'd like to move the new catalog file "catalog.pse19db to the folder I had set up for my PSE2019.  is there a way to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Zorrow Astuto, yes you can move the catalog folder to a custom location.  But you must transfer the entire folder that holds the Catalog.pse19db file.  You can use Windows File Explorer to move the folder.  After you move the folder, I suggest double-clicking the db file.  This will open your catalog in the Organizer, and the catalog will then show up in the Manage Catalogs dialog under Custom Location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines