• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem opening tiff file created in Elements 2022

Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved raw photos that  I edited in Elements 2022 and can not open them in recently installed Elements 2023.  I have also installed Add On Utitlities 2023

TOPICS
How to , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

@Sundog 5050 said:  I have updated my Mac OS to Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400) on a Macbook Pro since creating the original panorama.

I know nothing about Macs.  But, in the Elements Save As dialog, there is an option that differentiates between Windows and Mac.  I am using Windows and here is the default setting when I save a tif file:

Snap_2022.12.29_17h4m54s_008.png

I assume that if you are using a Mac to save the file, it will default to Macintosh.  But, perhaps it was changed by accident (or a bug) to Windows.

And, perhaps, ju

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files were saved as Tiff files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they have an effect applied that is not in 2023?

Do they open in any other photo viewer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They were originally created as raw files in camera and edited only in
Elements 2022. No 3rd party applications were used. The tiff file that I
tried to open WAS a photomerge panorama. After receiving your question, I
checked to see if I could open other tiff files and I could.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it still open in 2022?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but I went through the file conversion process after installing 2023. I
assume there is only 1 file and it is the file accessed in both versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but I went through the file conversion process after installing 2023. Iassume there is only 1 file and it is the file accessed in both versions.
By @Sundog 5050

Yes, the conversion process only updates the database structure of the catalog, the new catalog still points to the original photo/video media which are unchanged. So, forget the conversion step which is irrelevant to your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sundog 5050 said: 

The tiff file that I tried to open WAS a photomerge panorama.

Does it exceed the maximum size limits for Elements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Sundog 5050,

Do these files still open in Elements 2022? Also, do you observe any error message when you try to open them in Elements 2023?

Regards,

Medha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file can no longer be opened in either 2022 or 2023 versions of
Elements. 1. I converted(updated) all photos files after installing 2023,
so it’s the converted file now being read by both versions of Elements. 2.
The tiff files that can’t be opened are all files that were used to make a
panorama finished product using the “guided photomerge panorama” routine &
saved as a tiff file. All other tiff files can be opened without a problem.
3. The photo files used to make the panorama were deleted after I made the
panorama.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I converted(updated) all photos files after installing 2023,so it’s the converted file now being read by both versions of Elements.
By @Sundog 5050

The files are not converted, not updated. only the catalog database structure is converted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why would the file open in 2022 for editing before installing 2023 and
not open in either application after if the file was not altered. I have
always fine tuned the editing after creating a panorama and saved as a tiff
file. No other tiff files are a problem. That tells me it’s an Elements
software issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why would the file open in 2022 for editing before installing 2023 andnot open in either application after if the file was not altered. I havealways fine tuned the editing after creating a panorama and saved as a tifffile. No other tiff files are a problem. That tells me it’s an Elementssoftware issue.
By @Sundog 5050

That's quite possible. A known issue with panoramas is that they tend to have very big size, as hinted by @Greg_S. 

First check his post and the size of your panorama.Would it be possible for you to send a copy of the problem tiff file to a friend of yours with Photoshop (via Dropbox or similar?) to test on another computer.

Did you create a backup after the panorama creation and before installing PSE2023 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s 97mb and I have had larger files that were created making panoramas . Never a problem before or when I was using 2022. No I don’t have it backed up. As a practical matter, I really don’t need the file because I have already printed an 18”x43” print. BUT I wanted to identify a potential Elements application issue. This is the message I get: Could not complete your request because Photoshop Elements does not recognize this type of file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the file name?

Is it a "legal" name with the proper extension?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

parkway1.tiff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing it to parkway.tif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changed file name as suggested and no difference. Still: “Could not
complete your request because Photoshop Elements does not recognize this
type of file.”

Yet I have other tiff files and it isn’t a problem. It’s only the
panoramas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly are you doing to bring up the message? And what are the pixel dimensions of the file? 

Can you open the file in Windows Photo app? 
Do you use the Organizer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using Windows. Below is an update on the status:

I have not received a solution to the problem I identified.  I also got an email saying "Please provide PSE 2022 and PSE 2023 complete serial number and Order Number"  I thought this request was coming from someone that likely had pirated versions of the software because NO legitimate vendor would require 2 years of the requested information.  When I offered the last 4 digits of the serial number I didn't get a followup response.

The problem still exists.  I can not open panoramas created in 2022 and saved as a tiff file.  All other tiff files are able to be opened without a problem.  I have saved tiff files twice the size of the panorama file that were able to be opened.  I have updated my Mac OS to Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400) on a Macbook Pro since creating the original panorama.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also got an email saying "Please provide PSE 2022 and PSE 2023 complete serial number and Order Number"  I thought this request was coming from someone that likely had pirated versions of the software because NO legitimate vendor would require 2 years of the requested information. 

By @Sundog 5050

Since Adobe doesn't offer support by email, that was a good decision to not provide that information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sundog 5050 said:  I have updated my Mac OS to Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400) on a Macbook Pro since creating the original panorama.

I know nothing about Macs.  But, in the Elements Save As dialog, there is an option that differentiates between Windows and Mac.  I am using Windows and here is the default setting when I save a tif file:

Snap_2022.12.29_17h4m54s_008.png

I assume that if you are using a Mac to save the file, it will default to Macintosh.  But, perhaps it was changed by accident (or a bug) to Windows.

And, perhaps, just perhaps, the problem has been caused by the upgrade of your OS to Ventura.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you for your email. I will create a new panorama with new raw files
and see if I have problems going forward. As I said in a previous email,
this particular file I have already printed a large print and will likely
not need the file going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines