• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with generator third party plugins with Elements 2021 from the Apple Store

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just downloaded Photoshop Elements 2021. I have a mac and am on Big Sur operating system

I wanted to add Topaz and affinity plug ins.

I put them in the plug in folder, neither worked and I now have a message when I open Photoshop Elements editor.  The mssage is "There is a problem with Generator.  Please quite Photoshop and try again.  If the problem persists , remove any third party plug ins or try reinstalling Photoshop."

I have  a mac and downloaded Photoshop elements from the app store.

I have removed the third party plug ins and tried deleting and reinstalling photoshop.  This has not worked and I still get the Generator message and cannot use my plug ins. 

I did notice that the folder where the plug in goes hasThumbDatabase.db3 files in it dating from before I deleted the Photoshop Elements app. should I have also delete these files when I deleted the photoshop app?

Can anyone help please.

TOPICS
Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try installing the plugins rather than placing the files in the plugin folder?

Are the plugins up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had down loaded the most up to date versions of Topaz and Affinity.
In Elements I went to preferences chose the plug ins option
I ticked the additional plug ins folder box
opened the plug ins folder and copied and pasted Topaz folder in there as was the only way I could see of being able to add the plug ins.

I closed down photoshop and then re opened it.
I had a pop up saying I had placed third party plugs in folder and I ok'd it.

I can see the plug ins for Topaz, in the filters option when I have a photo open but they do not work.
When I close down and reopen photoshop I get the generator message. Even when I have removed the plug ins from the third party plug ins from the plug in folder.

Can I /Should I delete the plug in folder completely, delete photoshop and try reloading it. Or is there some thing else i should be doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is copied from the Topaz site:

If you have updated to macOS 10.16/11 Big Sur, please note that Adjust AI, Jpeg to RAW AI, and Studio 2 have not yet been updated to facilitate Big Sur yet. We are working on the next steps for those programs. The newest versions of Mask AI, DeNoise AI, Gigapixel AI, and Sharpen AI all support Big Sur with Intel processors. Please note that legacy programs that have been previously discontinued may not function with Big Sur and updates for M1/Apple Silicon processors may take several months. Thank you.

https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

I am trying to use DeNosie and Sharpen which should work.

I worried that the version of Photoshop elements 2021 downloaded from the app store may not work the same as that downloaded direct from Adbobe.
Also, as I downloaded it from the app store, I do not have a photoshop uninstaller.
When I deleted Photoshop I may have needed to delete other files as well as the app, which I had deleted in Launchpad. In which case i do not know which ones to delete

I have also tried deleting and reinstalling the topaz apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just spoken to a gentleman from Topaz and it appears that the problem may be that the Apple store version of Photoshop elements is embedded so deep that
Topaz is unable to communicate with it.

Can someone from Adobe please confirm if this is the correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know almost nothing about Macs.  When I remove an Elements program, there is always an option to remove preferences or settings.  I assume there is a similar option for Macs.  If so, you should choose the removal options.

As Bob has indicated, Topaz has not yet updated all of their plug-ins to work with Big Sur.   Even when they do, I have found that Topaz never makes it easy to install into Elements (at least on a Windows machine).  I usually end up copying the plug-in file to the main Adobe plug-ins folder rather than using the Additional Plug-ins folder in Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you Greg

I have just spoken to someone from Topaz and it appears it may be a problem where the apple store version of Photoshop Elements 2021 puts it files in the Mac .
It is in a different location from the version downloaded direct from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If the third party plugins are not appearing automatically on plugins installation in PSE 2021 Mac Apple Store then please copy the plugins to below location:

Copy the Topaz DeNoise AI.app Plugin from /Applications/Topaz Labs\ LLC Topaz DeNoise AI/Topaz DeNoise AI.app and paste it to the folder.
Go to Folder (Command+shift+G) and paste plugin to the below path
~/Library/Containers/com.adobe.PhotoshopElements/Data/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop Elements 19 Editor/Plug-ins/

Relaunch the Photoshop Elements Editor 2021 application. The Plugins should be available.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, I have tried this and it does not work. I can see the plug ins in the filters list but they do not work.
As I mentioned I have spoken to someone from Topaz and they feel that it is where the folders are located with the apple store version of Photoshop Elements which prevents them communicating with the application.
I also still get the generator problem message when I open up elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downloaded a trial version of photoshop elements, I do not get the generator message and I can use Topaz plug ins for denoise and sharpen. The problems are only happening with the apple store version.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for reporting that finding back to us.  It is difficult to determine which program features are not functional when Elements is purchased from the Apple/Microsoft stores.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines