• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Photoshop Elements 2019 install on new Macbook Pro [running macOS Monterey]

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, hoping someone can help me...

I have just got a new 2021 macbook pro running macOS Monterey and i'm trying to install my copy of Photoshop Elements 2019. This was a digital download version I bought from Amazon and has been running fine on my 2015 Macbook pro.

I downloaded the install files and the installation goes through smoothly, however when the splash screen opens and I click the 'Photo Editor' button, I get the following error message (see screenshot):

'Your application install seems to be damaged, please re-install the application' 

Screenshot 2021-11-18 at 21.38.21.png

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing 3 times with no luck. It doesn't get to the point where I need to input the serial to activate etc.

Could anyone help with this and what the issue might be?

Thanks,

Phil

TOPICS
Download and install , Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could anyone help with this and what the issue might be?

Elements 2019 is not supported on Monterey.

The last Mac operating system to be supported by Elements 2019 was Mojave

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/system-requirements/older-versions.html

Even the current version Elements 2022 on Monterey can be troublesome.

Long discussion here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements-discussions/adobe-photoshop-elements-22-doesn-t-wo...

Try running the free trial version of 2022 for 30 days and see how you go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, this seems a bit odd from Adobe to be honest.

Do you know if they are planning a fix for this? Seems a bit unfair that a 2 year old product has been rendered useless by a software update.

Thanks for the info though, at least it explains it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be fair, the true culprit here is really Apple. The full story is a bit technical but - after a decade long transition - Apple finally dropped all support for 32 bit coded apps back in the days of Catalina - the macOS version immediately following Mojave.

This meant that any software with 32 bit code cannot be installed on Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey and later and would have to be re-written from scratch in 64 bit - a huge undertaking. That affected hundreds of apps from hundreds of vendors, including Adobe. This all started over 10 years ago.

Over the past decade, Adobe has re-written all of its apps in 64 bit but also upgraded them over the years too to sell new versions - as they normally do. When software vendors issue new versions, they almost always stop supporting the earlier versions.

What this means for you is that many components of Elements 2019 are still 32 bit, such as the installer, and will never be re-written in 64 bit. They're old versions and long superseded. So version 2019 will never install on Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey. Hence you'll have to upgrade to 2022 which is all 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for thh explanation, but what bull.  Apple can't figure out a way to fix this. one of their famous "work arounds". I'm pissed, and I am not plunking down another $189 to get yet another version of Elements. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - I checked on Adobe web site and no mention of incompatability with OS Monterey.  Not happy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed re: the disappointment!  I was looking forward to some awesome performance on my new Macbook Pro... instead I was reminded why I went kicking and screaming to Apple in the first place.  Lots of goodness, don't get me wrong, but things like this are just painful reminders that the Apple approach is closed, and that 'collateral damage' is OK by them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines