• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems trying to change color of tshirt I can't refine /select color of hair well

Engaged ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 
I have a lot of problems, to try to adjust the color of the tshirt of this image.

s.png
The original color was green, I changed in brown-pink.
I selected hair the best I could but when I change color of tshirt, yet the hair's tips don't match the change of color..

sne.png

I'm confused ><

Help...

TOPICS
How to , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Valentina,

Try this:

1. Open youir image file

2. Duplicate the Background layer, shut off the visibility of the background layer by clicking on the eye icon in the Layers panel, and work on the Background copy layer.

3. Activate the Magic Wand tool in the tool box, and on the tool's option bar set the tolerance to 25 . This tool makes selections based on color. With the Magic Wand active,  left click somewhere on the t-shirt and hit delete on the keyboard. Continue doing this until you have deleted the t-shirt. If the tool fetches too much, reduce the tolerance. Leave the hair alone. If there are any littly bits of shirt left, use the eraser tool to get rid of same.

4 Set your foreground color chip to the desired color for replacement - I used red for demonstration

5 .Open a blank layer between the the Background layer & the Background copy layer

6. Go to Edit>Fill layer>Foreground color

tshirt.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I will try this and I will show the results later, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.... here are 3.02 AM... I think I give up... it seems not natural and the results it's disappointing.
I think it's very hard to separate hair from the tshirt. Yet the results are not the best...
I've even uploaded my psd model of this:

https://www.4shared.com/s/fTX8cOVIUfa
I've tried everything, but still, you can see that don't look natural and it's pretty visible is not natural 😕

For now I will go to sleep...  (u_u ) zzz
Immagine1.pngImmagine2.png3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are a couple of other suggestions:

The problem you are having is in the selection of the hair.  It's not clear what tools you may have used to get your result but if you used either the Magic Wand or simply the Replace Color tool, parts of the image will not be replaced because either not enough green or too much green will be selected.  Although it is difficult to see, the pixels that make up some of the hair have a green/blue hue.  Zoom in to pixel level on some of the strands of hair and you will see what I mean.   It is also not a very high resolution image. So, colors are going to blend together. 

So, I suggest cleaning up the hair, using either the Clone tool or the Healing brush tool.  Doing this will get rid of some of the distractions and will make it easier to select just the T-shirt.  Depending on how much time you want to spend on it, you will get something like this:

Ashampoo_Snap_Monday, January 22, 2024_21h44m54s.png

You can then use the Enhance>Adjust Color>Replace Color tool to change the color of the T-Shirt.  Essentially, this uses the Magic Wand tool to select the color you want to replace.  Use the fuzziness slider to display how much is selected.  For your image, I used a Fuzziness level of about 100.  The white areas of the selection show how much of the color shades are selected and the darker areas give you an idea of the shadows that will be retained.

Ashampoo_Snap_Monday, January 22, 2024_21h17m32s.png

The end result should be something like this:

Ashampoo_Snap_Monday, January 22, 2024_21h57m25s.png

You can further clean up the greenish hair, using more of the clone and healing brush tools.

The advantage of using this kind of edit is that the texture and shading of the folds in the clothing is retained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you a lot for this explanation. I will try this other one.
I think that even Photoshop (basic) can't do a perfect selection of hair or it's only photoshop elements ? I think most photographer probably simply will drawing over the hair some new hair (just to give a natural effect), because there's cases in which is necessary the photo and hair will look perfectly almost like 'invisible retouch'. In this way, of course it's easy to see that it's been retouched and is ok until it's for playing .. but I'm so curious to know from photographers that have to make a professional photo and for some reasons have to change the color of dress, I wonder if with the complete Photoshop with Intelligence artificial, is possible to perfectly separated the hair from the tshirt?
But I guess, photographers instead of all these complex changes, where they would have to spend a lot of time to correct the shape of hair, probably they will simply take shots with already the color and dress that there s need , and not change dress with post processing.  (I think). 

But I'm curious to know if there's other ways that photographers professionals can actually perfectly separated hair from tshirt dress for example...

I also wonder this, because, maybe many years ago, I heard or watch some tutorial , in which they could perfectly select only hair but they use another way, something like to divide the channel of colors, or something, and they could color only some part and the effect was very good. But I don't remember if this tutorial was with hair or with other things, now I don' t remember , maybe it was a better easy image to select colors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, I wanted to update if can be useful for someone that will have the need to do the same with some images,
This is what I did at the end to finally select, and separated the hair from tshirt , in order to  change color of tshirt. 

I made  a mix of many different operations to reach the result I wish more. 
At the end it was this the final result I was searching for (see below).

I've  found useful a couple of many tutorials:

With this one, after some selections and refine masks, I  tried to follow this tutorial that show almost at the end an useful way to use the   sponge tool to refine the parts that need to be adjusted:  

Then, with this other tutorial : 

I used the refine mask to adjust the parts of hair over the tips of tshirts that yet were a bit confused. And after adjust , I also decided to use a third trick, that it's the more simple: I created first of all some brushes for drawing hair (based on this tutorial: 

And after create my brush hair, I started (after I flatted all the layers) I started to painting new hair over the tshirt in the way it would look not 'cutted' off (due the selections of the hair for change only the color of tshirt),

and this is the final result. (from green tshirt to red tshirt)
2.jpg3.jpg

I think I should make more adjustments, to make the image looks like all elements are part of just  one  single image... if you have some suggestions I'll  appreciate. Thanks!

Thanks to all for all the suggestions and tips!

tests.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines