Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with Photoshop elements 2021

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded from elements 11 to elements 2021. 2 problems;

Firstly how can I see and work on earlier versions of a file in a collapsed version set. I can find no way of uncollapsing the version stack. I have tried re-importing the original file, but elemts will not allow me to do this as it says the file is already in Elements.

Secondly, when editing a file in guided edit mode, How can I just go to edin another parameter in guided edits, I am only allowed to go to basic or expert mode. I found the edit arrangements much easier to use in the earlier version and I am currently very unsatisfied with elements 2021. Much of the operator interface seems to be a backward step and reduces the flexibility for me to do what I want. I wish I had never bought this version.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 - My guess is that you are in the 'adaptative view' of your thumbnails. This is the default viewing mode. All the browsing space shows only the thumbnails side by side without any space around the thumbnails to show the date and file name. You are probably used the 'detailed' view you can choose from the 'view' menu or with the shortcut Ctrl D to switch modes.

Anyway, you can still use the right click option on the selected thumbnail to open the drop down menu with the options for stacks and version sets. That works in both types of view.

2 - A number of old users don't get the purpose of the guided edits. First, there are many of them and the images which are displayed are just working as animated menu icons to choose your effect. You are not working on the images you are seeing, you are only selecting a guided edit. This requires that you have your own pictures opened, and then that you follow the required editing steps. The flexibility is there:  you are learning the tools you have to use, the order in which you apply those successive tools, which helps you to process the same effects in the 'expert' mode. After your effect has been achieved, you are prompted to open in the expert mode, where you can continue to process the resulting layered file with all the expert tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I had previously looked into all the drop down menus to try and find how to display a collapsed stack. There were several options such as ‘view all’ that were more intuitive to achieve my aim. I would never have guessed that the ‘details’ button changed the display from adaptive to detailed, and after reading your reply I only found it because you mentioned Ctrl D as a switch. It’s definitely not intuitive and no help or information appears when you hover the mouse over the instruction. I didn’t even know there were 2 view options.

Regarding the guided edits, I definitely don’t get their purpose and still don’t after your explanation. Once I have selected a photo and edited a parameter in guided mode, I only have options to save or continue editing in Quick or Expert. This suggests that I am editing the image I am seeing which contradicts what you suggested. If I am not editing the image, how come I can save my edited work? Why does it not give me the option of continuing to edit in Guided? I tried to continue editing in Expert, but have no idea why there are a string of irrelevant pictures down the right hand side of the screen, can I get rid of them as it would enable the picture I am editing to occupy a greater area of the screen? Also when I have edited in expert, why do I not get the option to save my work, but have to return to quick or guided mode to save an edit? It makes no sense to me.

Stephen

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you suggest one or two guided effects you are interested in?

Some are very simple (the 'lomo camera' effect for instance in the 'color' tab), others are more advanced and use a sequence of different tools to achieve the result: perfect portrait or landscape, Photomerge panorama...

I am sure you'll get help to use those guided effects on photos of your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines