• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS Elements mit Bildern und Katalog auf neuen PC und neues NAS umziehen?

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guten Tag liebe Community, ich suche dringend Hlfe!

Ich habe bisher PSE 2015 genutzt. Ca. 50.000 Bilder auf einen WD NAS gespeichert und mit einem älteren PC verwaltet. Nun nutze ich einen neuen PC und ein neues Synology NAS. Die Bild-Ordner habe ich 

von dem WD NAS auf das Synology NAS kopiert und PSE 2020 auf dem neuen Windows Rechner installiert. Ich möchte nun in allererster Linie meine Alben und Tags retten bzw. auf PSE 2020 nutzen. Wie geht das ? Wenn ich mit PSE 2015 den Katalog sichere (vollständiges Backup) und unter PSE 2020 auf dem neuen Rechner wiederherstelle bleibe ich auf dem alten WD NAS. 

Wie bekomme ich alles (oderner / Dateien, und Katalogs auf das neue Synology NAS bzw den neuen Rechner (Katalog auf Rechner, Bild Ordner auf NAS)?

TOPICS
Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jo_jack 

First a disclaimer:  I don't use NASes and never will. Two reasons: I won't get significant help from Adobe or other volunteers in this forum and I find that using enough external drives as backups is much superior in safety and ease of use than using NASes.

So, to help troubleshoot your situation, I'll ignore the fact that the drives you are using are NASes.

You are working on a given PC with an external drive, catalog folder on PC and media files on the external drive.

You buy a new PC, a new external drive and you install a new version of PSE on the new PC.

What is the usual workflow? (It's a very frequent situation)

My recommended workflow would be:

1 - To install the new PSE version on the OLD hardware. This automatically prompts you to convert your catalog database to the new format. This may be necessary anyway if you have several catalogs.

2 - to use the full backup command into a conventional external USB drive.

3 -  Install the new version of the new PSE the new PC. You may have to 'deactivate' or 'sign out'of the old PC to recover the second allowed activation later.

4 - From the new PC restore the backup from the external backup drive to the new external drive.  Both the catalog folder and the media files tree will be restored on the new drive. That means that the catalog folder won't be in the default location in the PC, but on the external drive. The catalog manager lets you move it back to 'default' location in the PC itself.

Note that in a similar situation, you NEVER have to copy your media library from a disk to another or a NAS to another. The 'restore' does the transfer while updating the catalog database for the drive identification.

In your case, it is generally recommended (or even required?) to store your catalog folder on the new PC instead of on the new NAS.

So, I suggest to try the same worlflow with your own hardware. I don't see any reason it will not work until step 4 where the identification of the two NASes is important. Anyway, If you are in a hurry and the restore process does not work, you are ready to restore on a conventional external drive for full performance, waiting for a successful troubleshooting with the targetted NAS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vielen Dank für die Hilfe. Ich werde es versuchen. Noch eine Frage. Beim restore Process kann per Click Box die "ursprüngliche Datei-Struktur" angewälht werden. Ist das Zielführend?

Beste Grüße 

Jochen 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jochen,

Yes,  it make sense to choose the option to keep the original folder structure.

In my experience, the reason to choose the other option is to make the folder tree structure simpler by avoiding uncessary folder steps if you originally stored your library in the default Microsoft 'User'  / 'Pictures' system folder shortcut. This is not a big deal to solve afterwards by using the drag and drop in the left side 'folders' panel to move up a folders sub-tree to delete an empty folders level. So, when in doubt, keep the original tree structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines