• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS Elements won't run - thinks I'm not on Mac OS - but I am.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heres a strange one.  Suddenly - not aware of any recent updates or events - I cannot open PS Elements 2020 on my Intel iMac running OS12.4. It just says: "Adobe Photoshop cannot run on this computer because the minimum system requirement is Mac OS X version ".  (and no version number is shown on the message). Yet it had been working a couple of days before. 

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Elements 2020.  I have tried installing a trial of 2022. I have looked at permissions.  I have even re-installed OS12.4.  But for all Elements versions I get that message.  As it happens I also have Adobe CC Photo subscripton and PS and Lightroom Classic which all open up fine, as does all other software. 

Any ideas????

TOPICS
Bug , Crash or freeze , Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

macs have a "rollabck feature" where you can go back in history (In windows its "RESTORE"), however- you reinstalled your OS so I'm pretty sure that won't work.

If you have PSE isntalled and running, then updated your OS, with the program still installed, yes, generally, you will be good (Such as in your case).

I just look at the adobe OS requirements- that's why I said your OS doesn't support your older version.  

This is an educated guess: You made a mistake by reinstalling your OS-- I' m guessin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the CC App.
To reset the Creative Cloud desktop app, make sure it's in the foreground, then press:
Win: Ctrl + Alt + R
Mac: Cmd + Opt + R

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling the CC App:
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I tried the first step to no avail.  I could try the uninstall / install for CC app - but as Elements is standalone software I thought it was not part of the CC App - it certainly isnt part of my cloud subscription or shown within it, so am I missing something? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CC app is not part of Photoshop Elements, but many users could not install some versions of Photoshop Elements without installing the CC app.

I could not install Photoshop Elements 2020 on a Windows 11 computer without installing the CC app first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. Tried the uninstall / install CC route, also rebooted, but no change.  Very odd that in the last few days Elements 2020 stopped recognising the OS version and also a trial install of 2022.  All other apps and Adobe CC apps are fine.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit confused here: your OS doesn't support your version of PSE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused too.  No. My OS (which is Mac OS 12.4)  DOES support PSE 2020 and was running fine up until a few days ago.  Suddenly, without any changes I'm aware of, it won't even open and thinks I'm not on the correct OS. A download of PSE 2022 says the same.  Rebooting, re-loading OS 12.4, full uninstall of PSE versions and re-install from Adobe, check of permissions have had no effect.  All other programs, including Adobe CC ones all run fine.  Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macs have a "rollabck feature" where you can go back in history (In windows its "RESTORE"), however- you reinstalled your OS so I'm pretty sure that won't work.

If you have PSE isntalled and running, then updated your OS, with the program still installed, yes, generally, you will be good (Such as in your case).

I just look at the adobe OS requirements- that's why I said your OS doesn't support your older version.  

This is an educated guess: You made a mistake by reinstalling your OS-- I' m guessing it's like in windows- your reinstall your OS, you gotta reinstall your software- and that is your issue.  You have locked yourself out of the old version. 

It's really interesting about the trial version saying the same thing-- which makes me wonder if you have any utilities running in the background that could be interfereing with the installation process. That's judt a thought. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for your thoughts,

I'll have a look.  The rollback to a week ago when there was no issue is possible but with Time Machine these days it really requires a clean drive or at least an empty one it seems.  
Maybe from what you say I could try running in safe mode to cut other processes out and see what I can do...  I just can't figure what changed in the last week to cause this and if it was a PSE or OS issue there I wouldn't be the only one complaining. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got an update to pse 2022 last week--- it varies for people, not everyone gets the update pushed out atthe same time.  PSE 2020 doesn't get updates anymore-- Adobe offically supports only the newest version, and the previous version only.  Your issue is deffinately unique. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are right of course, thank you. PSE 2020 is not compatible with Maverick. Doh. As an intermittent user it has previously run (but this explains the crashes and glitches!) and I guess it all caught up and said no.  Somehow that also blocked an install of PSE2022 with the same non-recognition of the OS.  

I have sorted it now with additional help on Apple Forum. For the record: 

- PSE2002 did open when in Safe Mode.

-It also opened when I created a 2nd user account.

-I uninstalled some old software, stopped using system add ons and checkers - memory monitors, malware checker, etc (or at least stopped them opening at boot) and removed items from my User account in the login at boot stage. 

Hey presto it all runs. 

I may re-introducer some of those one by one to see which it was but i probably don't need most of the stuff. 

Thanks for everyone's help.  Nice to know there is a helpful comminity out there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines